What Does Hand Surgery Fix?
Hand surgery is a hybrid of many of many types of techniques usually performed by a wide range of specialists like orthopaedic, plastic, vascular, and neurosurgeons. It is used to treat a number of problems from repairing nerves to replacing tendons. Hand surgery specialists can treat both chronic (long term) hand pain and acute (recent onset) hand pain. The most commonly treated conditions and injuries treated by hand surgery physicians are:
- Injury – sudden break, tears, and dislocations
- Carpal tunnel syndrome - damage to the never that passes through the carpal tunnel
- Metacarpal bossing – a mass in one of the joints of the hand
- Rheumatoid arthritis – a rheumatic disease causing inflammation (link to RA article)
- Dupuytren’s Disease – one of the fingers is bent inwards and cannot be straightened
- Congenital defect – a condition that is present from birth