Illinois Bone & Joint Institute’s Athletic Training Residency Program is currently seeking accreditation. The 12-month residency program for Certified Athletic Trainers provides an advanced preparation of athletic training practitioners through a planned program of clinical and traditional education focused in orthopedics.
Illinois Bone & Joint Institute’s Athletic Training Residency Program is currently not accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE). The institution will be submitting a self-study to begin the accreditation process on July 1, 2021. The residency is housed within the physician practice setting at Illinois Bone & Joint Institute using an evidence-based approach to enhance the quality of patient care, optimize patient outcomes, and improve patient health-related quality-of-life.
The residency program will allow the resident to practice advanced clinical decision-making skills with emphasis on managing care of children and adults for all orthopedic conditions. You will have the opportunity to be a part of a multidisciplinary team working to optimize the management of orthopedic and sport-related injuries. The resident will be provided with learning experiences that will allow them to contribute to the advancement of the athletic training profession and contribute to the orthopedic/sports medicine team at Illinois Bone & Joint Institute through building research, teaching, and leadership opportunities.
Illinois Bone and Joint Institute’s Athletic Training Residency Program advances the resident’s ability to provide patient-centered care in an orthopedic setting working as a member of a team of highly-trained professionals to provide the highest quality patient care.
Our Athletic Training Residency Program focuses on providing the athletic training resident with advanced training in a sports medicine and orthopedic clinic setting. We seek to provide Certified Athletic Trainers with an opportunity to advance their skills to become a key member within the physician practice setting.
- Understand the role of the Certified Athletic Trainer in an orthopedic practice setting, be set up for success to operate in this role, and assess the quality and effectiveness of this model on patient oriented evidence.
- Develop and operate in an enhanced understanding of clinical decision making within an orthopedic practice setting.
- Understand and analyze various musculoskeletal imaging methods in order to appropriately share findings with patients.
- Develop and operate as a leader within orthopedic healthcare.
- Recognize and apply advanced athletic training orthopedic skill(s) in traditional athletic training settings used to foster evidence-based, patient centered care.
- Provide an advanced 12-month plan of study in orthopedics through a detailed and structured curriculum to optimize the athletic trainer’s skill set in the orthopedic clinic setting.
- Enhance the athletic training resident’s clinical decision making skills and practice by providing diverse clinical rotations.
- Provide opportunities for the athletic training resident to grow in their knowledge, evaluation and diagnosis of orthopedic based injuries.
- Enhance the athletic training resident’s participation in research, teaching, and development of leadership skills through didactic and clinical opportunities.
How to Apply
Applications are due March 11, 2020.
Residency start date is June 1, 2020 and ends June 7, 2021.
- NATA-BOC Certification
- Illinois Athletic Training Licensure (or pending)
- NPI number
- Bachelor’s degree in athletic training required
- Masters degree in health related field preferred
- 2 years of Athletic Training experience preferred
- CPR/AED certification completed through American Heart Association
- Cover Letter
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Application filled out
Please submit all application materials by email or mail to arrive by March 11, 2020 to:
Jenna Leman MS, ATC
Program Director – Athletic Training Residency Program
Illinois Bone & Joint Institute
1450 Busch Parkway
Buffalo Grove, IL 60089