- Advocate Lutheran General Hospital
- Evanston Hospital - NorthShore University Health System
- Glenbrook Hospital - NorthShore University Health System
- Highland Park Hospital - NorthShore University Health System
- Northwestern Memorial Hospital
Dr. Patrick Schuette is a board-certified rheumatologist who specializes in treating rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis and Raynaud’s phenomenon (blood vessel spasms) and associated complex autoimmune disease. He provides advanced treatments, including ultrasound-guided injections.
In providing care, Dr. Schuette puts a strong emphasis on listening to his patients in order to understand their conditions fully and then informing patients about their treatment options so they can play a role in their care. His goal is to alleviate symptoms as much as possible and to prevent progression of illness and further damage to tissue and joints.
Dr. Schuette is dedicated to seeking knowledge that will enhance the care he provides for his patients. He has traveled to medical meetings throughout Europe to expand the scope of his care and has developed international connections in the process. He has shared and honed his knowledge by teaching and mentoring internal medicine and rheumatology residents and fellows for 30 years.
He is director of the Division of Rheumatology at Advocate Lutheran General Hospital. Dr. Schuette is the principal investigator of several clinical trials testing the safety and effectiveness of new rheumatoid arthritis medications, providing patients with the opportunities to participate in these studies and to be treated with promising new therapies
Additional Areas of Expertise
- Antiphospholipid Syndrome
- Polmyalgia Rheumatica
- Spinal Stenosis
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Bone Density or Dexa Scan
- Connective Tissue Disease
- Vasculitis (Wegeners, Microscopic Polyangiitis, Giant Cell Artheritis)
Philosophy of Care
Compassionate and state of the art care has been at the forefront of my practice for over 30 years. I strive to establish a partnership with each patient, built on mutual trust and respect.
Affilations and Associations
- Fellow – American College of Physicians
- Fellow – American College of Rheumatology
- Chicago Rheumatism Society
- International Society of Clinical Densitometry
- American Institute of Ultrasound Medicine
- International Society for Extremity MRI in Rheumatology
Medical University of South Carolina
Medical University of South Carolina
University of Illinois
Research and Publications
- Kar, P, Aronoff, G, Schuette, P: “Bronchopulmonary Disease: An Association With Ulcerative Colitis and Pyoderma Gangrenosum” KMA Journal, Vol 91: 320-322, 1993.
- Hughes S, Edelman P, Chang R, Naughton R, Singer R, Schuette PT, Liang G: “Validity of self-reported prevalence of musculoskeletal conditions in the elderly” American Journal of Public Health.
- Hughes S, Edelman P, Chang R, Naughton R, Singer R, Schuette PT, Liang G, “Estimates and determinants of valid self-reports of musculoskeletal disease in the elderly”. Journal of Aging and Health, Vol 5, No. 2 244-263, 1993.
- Hughes S, Edelman P, Chang R, Singer R, Schuette PT: “Their GERI-AIMS scales for the elderly. Reliability and Validity”. Arthritis and Rheumatism, 34: 856,1991.
- Hughes S, Edelman P, Chang R, Singer R, Schuette PT. “The revised arthritis impact measurement scales for the elderly: new validity and reliability finding”. Arthritis and Rheumatism, (Supplement). 31 (4): S76, 1988.
- Hughes S, Chang R, Edelman P, Blandford G, Berg L, Singer R, Schuette PT. “Use and measurement properties of the revised arthritis impact measurement scales for the elderly”. Arthritis and Rheumatism, (Supplement). 30: S101,1987.
- Hughes S, Chang R, Blandford G, Berg L, Edelman P, Singer R, Schuette PT. “Musculoskeletal disease in the elderly: prevalence and associated functional impairment”. Arthritis and Rheumatism, (Supplement). 29: 147, 1986.
- Schuette, PT: “The recurrent joint pain questionnaire”. Presented at International Symposium on the Epidemiology of Rheumatic Diseases in Industrial Labor. Hamburg, West Germany, June 1985.
- Arnold W, Stulberg SD, Schuette PT, Schmidt FR. “Intraarticular soft tissue abnormalities are a frequent finding associated with chronic pain. Patients with early Osteoarthritis of the knee”. Arthritis and Rheumatism, (Supplement). 27, 1984.
- Wells JS, Zipp FJ, Schuette PT, MeElency J. “Musculoskeletal disorders among letter carriers. A comparison of weight carrying, walking and secondary occupations”. Journal of Occupational Medicine, 25 (11): 814, 1983.
- Green D, Schuette PT, Wallace WH: “Factor VIII antibodies in rheumatoid arthritis: The effect of antibodies in rheumatoid arthritis: the effect of cyclophosphamide”. Archives of Internal Medicine, 140: 1232,1980.
- Schuette PT, Schmid FR. “Arthritic syndromes associated with enteropathies”. Clinical Medicine, Harper and Row Publishers, 1980.
- Schuette PT, Brabham AM, Eurenious K. “Thrombotic thrombocytopenia purpura: A re-evaluation”. Southern Medical Journal, 67: 915, 1974.
- Director, Division of Rheumatology, Advocate Lutheran General Hospital, Park Ridge, IL 1999 – present
- Instructor in Medicine, Rosalind Franklin University, North Chicago, IL 2001 – Present
- Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine: Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago IL 1981-Present
- Consulting Member Medical Staff: Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago, IL 1977-Present
Curriculum VitaeSee my Curriculum Vitae [PDF]
See a general list of health plans in which our providers participate.
PLEASE NOTE: While many of IBJI’s providers participate in various plans from Blue Cross Blue Shield, Aetna,Cigna, Humana, United Healthcare and others, IBJI strongly encourages you to contact your specific health plan to ensure your chosen doctor is in-network.