- 25 East Same Day Surgery Center
- Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center
- Ascension Saint Mary – Kankakee
- Presence Saint Joseph Hospital
- Weiss Memorial Hospital
Areas of Expertise
- Sports Medicine
- Arthroscopy of Knee and Shoulder
- Cartilage Repair & Restoration
- Knee Cap Instability
- Knee Ligament Injuries
- Knee Pain & Injuries
- Total/Partial Knee Replacement
- Shoulder Pain & Injuries
- Rotator Cuff Tears
- Shoulder Dislocations
- Non-surgical options/Therapy
- Workers Compensation
- Independent Medical Evaluations (IME)
Craig Westin, MD, is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon. His practices specializes in patient-centered treatment of knee and shoulder injuries. His patients include Olympic and professional athletes, active people of all ages and “industrial athletes” hurt at work. Treatment is individually planned to meet the patient’s needs and lifestyle. Whenever possible, costs are controlled to provide value. Our treatment goal is a prompt and successful return to work or play. Dr. Westin and his staff provide continuity from diagnosis through completion of treatment. Patient education is emphasized, and success is often achieved with rehabilitation alone.
If surgery is needed, Dr. Westin performs comprehensive knee procedures for meniscus cartilage and ligament injuries, as well as more complex treatments such as cartilage replacement or total knee replacement. Dr. Westin uses the latest and least invasive surgical and anesthetic techniques to minimize discomfort and speed recovery. Frequently treated shoulder conditions include rotator cuff and labrum injuries, dislocations and arthritis.
Prior to moving to Chicago after the Utah 2002 Winter Olympics, Dr. Westin was Medical Director of the Snowbird and Alta Ski Resorts, two of Utah’s premier, world class ski resorts. He began his work comp experience at Snowbird and Alta treating injured ski patrollers and ski instructors. He began a screening program for potential new employees to avoid those who may already have bad knees. Treatment savings for ski-related employee injuries was over $100,000 the first two years of the program.
As a Team Physician with US Figure Skating, and he has attended international skating competitions around the world for almost 20 years, including World Championships and several winter Olympics, most recently in Sochi, Russia. The next winter Olympics is in South Korea. With the potential political issues with North Korea, he decided to retire from the long international travel required.
In Utah he was also Medical Director of Ballet West, Salt Lake City’s premier professional ballet company. In Chicago, he was Medical Director of The Joffrey Ballet for several years.
He is an Assistant Professor of Orthopaedics at the University of Illinois, and teaches Orthopedic Residents training to be leaders for the next generation of health care. He holds patents for several medical devices as well.
What Patients Should Know About Me
I follow the Medical Golden Rule: Treat patients as I would treat my family or myself. My experience allows me to choose the most effective method to help people enjoy life again.
When you choose your surgeon wisely, you don’t always need surgery."Craig Westin, MD
University of Rochester
Harvard Orthopedic Program
Cave Traveling Sports Medicine Fellowship
Affiliations and Associations
- United States Figure Skating Team
- Joffrey Ballet
- USA Rugby
- Top Surgeon in US 2008 and Patients Choice Award 2009, 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Resident Teaching Award, Salt Lake Regional Medical Center, 2001
- Cave Traveling Fellowship – Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Orthopedic Program, 1984
- Alpha Omega Alpha – Honor Medical Society: University of Rochester, 1979
- Bryce Collier Award for Compassionate Care & Understanding of The Patient: University of Rochester, 1979
- Vice-Chair, Department of Surgery, Weiss Memorial Hospital, 2016-present
- Chairman, Medical Staff Quality Committee, Weiss Memorial Hospital, 2015-present
- Chairman, Department of Orthopedics and Neurosurgery: Salt Lake Regional Medical Center, Salt Lake City, UT – 1995-97
- Chairman, Department of Orthopedics: Alta View Hospital – 1989-99; 1994-95; 2001-02
- Chief Orthopedic Teaching Service: Salt Lake Regional Medical Center, Salt Lake City UT – 1990-99
- Associate Clinical Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery: University of Utah, Salt Lake City UT – 1985-2000
View Dr. Westin's Media
Dr. Westin - as heard on WGN-AM: Winter Sports Tips
"Dr. Westin had great bedside manner. He explained things clearly and helped put my mind at ease."
"I love Dr. Westin, he’s the best."