Serafin DeLeon, MD
- Hawthorn Surgical Center
- Lindenhurst Surgery Center
- Northwestern Grayslake Surgery Center
- Northwestern Lake Forest Hospital
- Vista Health System
BiographyDr. Serafin DeLeon is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon with a subspecialty certification in hand surgery. He specializes in treating conditions of the hand, wrist, elbow and shoulder such as arthritis, fractures and other traumatic injuries, nerve compression, and carpal tunnel syndrome. Dr. DeLeon also has advanced training and experience in the care of sports injuries and treats athletes of all ages, including college and professional athletes. In most cases ,Dr. DeLeon is able to offer arthroscopy or other minimally invasive procedures, which decrease patient discomfort and speed recovery times. He also offers patients injections with platelet- rich plasma to stimulate tissue healing. In providing care, Dr. DeLeon looks at the patient as a whole, treating the person, not merely the orthopedic condition. He takes the time to explain each patient’s condition and treatment options thoroughly, so that patients can participate in decisions about their care. Dr. DeLeon customizes care to each patient individually to address any unique concerns or issues the patient may have. His goal is to eliminate pain and restore function.
Additional Areas of Expertise
Philosophy of Care
I diagnose and treat problems of the hand, wrist, and elbow with medically proven therapies that maximize recovery and minimize interruptions to people’s lives. When non-operative care is no longer an option, I perform minimally invasive surgery whenever possible to expedite the healing process, and minimize or eliminate scarring.
Affilations and Associations
- American Association of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Lake County Medical Society
- Illinois State Medical Society
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand
- Team Physician – Waukegan High School
- Team Physician – Zion-Benton Township High School
Northwestern University Medical School
Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke's Medical Center, Chicago IL
Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago IL
Hand & Upper Extremity
Brown University School of Medicine, Providence, RI
- Class Honors: University of Michigan, 1991-93
- James B. Angell Scholar: University of Michigan, 1993
- Alpha Omega Alpha: Northwestern University Medical School, 1996
- Clinical Anatomy Award, Northwestern Orthopaedic Residency Program, 2003
- Clinical Instructor: Brown Medical School, Providence, RI 2003-04
See a general list of health plans in which our providers participate.
PLEASE NOTE: While many of IBJI’s providers participate in various plans from Blue Cross Blue Shield, Aetna,Cigna, Humana, United Healthcare and others, IBJI strongly encourages you to contact your specific health plan to ensure your chosen doctor is in-network.