Dr. Carla Gamez is a podiatrist (a medical specialist who diagnoses and treats foot disorders) who provides care for the full spectrum of foot problems, including Sever’s disease, hammer toe, Achilles tendon, arthritis, plantar fasciitis, fractures and diabetic foot infections. She offers patients a range of treatments, from ointments and orthotics (shoe inserts) to physical therapy and cheilectomy, a surgical procedure to clean out arthritic joints and restore the foot to function.
Growing up, Dr. Gamez was a runner and played on her high school tennis team. These activities, combined with contending with a broken toe that hadn’t healed properly, sparked her interest in foot care and led her to become a podiatrist.
She speaks fluent Spanish and participates in health fairs and other activities to promote the health and wellness of the local Hispanic community.
Additional Areas of Expertise
- Diabetic Foot Concerns & Care
- Diabetic Wound Care
- Plantar Fasciitis
- Podiatric Surgery
- Independent Medical Evaluations (IME)
- Workers’ Compensation
Philosophy of Care
In providing care, Dr. Gamez looks beyond the foot itself, taking into consideration the patient’s legs, knees, hips, and activities. She combines compassion and warmth with honesty, providing patients with realistic expectations about the likely outcome of their care. Her goal is to make each patient feel better and return them to their normal activities to the greatest extent possible.
Midwest Regional Medical Center, Zion IL
Dr. William M. Scholl School of Podiatric Medicine - Chicago IL
Research and Publications
- Analysis of Emerging Treatments in Diabetic Wound Care. Published in Foot and Ankle Quarterly, Fall 2002.
- The Effectiveness of Surgical Reconstruction of Adult Flat Foot Deformities, research article with case studies of patients treated during residency, submitted for publication in 2000, Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery; 1998-2000.
- Diabetic Foot Care and Common Pedal Abnormalities, a lecture presented to the Hispanic Community of Waukegan at the Waukegan Public Library; July 12, 1999.
- Etiology, Diagnosis, and Treatment of Recurrent Neuromas, preparation of literature review with case presentation presented by residency director to the Ontario Podiatric Medical Association; November 1998.
- CPME, Professional Education and Educational Support Services – Self Study Sub-Committee, 1996 – 1997.
- Clinical Honors; Dr. William M. Scholl School of Podiatric Medicine, Third year podiatric medicine clinic and third year surgery rotation, 1996-1997.
Annual Speaker for Kraft Foods Corporation’s Health Fair Lecture entitled “Oh My Aching Feet!”
See my Curriculum Vitae
- Aetna EPO, HMO, PPO, POS, NAP
- Aetna Medicare Advantage PPO, HMO
- Aetna Whole Health
- Beech Street/Concentra/Viant PPO and Workers’ Compensation
- Blue Advantage PPO
- Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO, BlueChoice PPO, HMO, HMOI, HMO Advantage, Blue Precision HMO, Medicare Advantage, MMAI Plan (some physicians)
- CareIQ, Rehab for Workers Compensation
- CCN POS
- CCN PPO
- Cigna HMO, PPO, POS
- CorVel PPO, Workers’ Compensation
- Coventry Medicare Advantage PPO, HMO
- Coventry PPO, Workers’ Compensation
- Encompass (surgery network for injured workers)
- First Health PPO
- Healthcare’s Finest Network PPO, Workers’ Compensation
- HealthLink Plans HMO, PPO
- HMO Illinois (some physicians)
- Humana MMAI, HMO, POS, PPO
- Imagine Health/Smart Network (MRI/CT Services, Rehab Services, and some Physicians)
- Longevity Health Medicare Advantage HMO
- MedRisk (Rehab services for injured workers)
- MultiPlan/Private Health Care Systems PPO
- One Call Medical Network (Imaging services for injured workers)
- One Call Care Management (Rehab services for injured workers)
- Orchid Medical (Rehab services for injured workers)
- PPO Next (aka HealthStar PPO, Preferred Health Network PPO)
- Preferred Network Access PPO
- Preferred Plan PPO
- Premier Comp Solutions (imaging services only)
- Sunrise Advantage Medicare Advantage Plan
- Therapy Direct (Rehab services for injured workers)
- Union Health Service
- UnitedHealthcare HMO, Open Access, POS, PPO
IBJI providers are participating providers in the following workers’ compensation Preferred Provider Programs (PPP):
- Healthcare’s Finest Network
- MedRisk (Rehab/Work Comp)