Thomas Gleason, MD
- Advocate Condell Medical Center
- Advocate Lutheran General Hospital
- Alexian Brothers Medical Center
- Illinois Sports Medicine & Orthopedic Surgery Center
- Presence Resurrection Medical Center
- Presence Saint Francis Hospital
- Presence Saint Joseph Hospital
- Skokie Hospital - NorthShore University Health System
- Swedish Covenant Hospital
BiographyA founding member of Illinois Bone & Joint Institute, Dr. Thomas F. Gleason is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon who specializes in treating spinal problems in adults and performing hip and knee joint replacements. He offers patients an array of treatment options for spine conditions, including cervical and lumbar disk replacements, laminectomy, spinal fusion, microendoscopic discectomy, intradiscal electrothermal therapy and kyphoplasty. Dr. Gleason also performs other procedures including arthroscopy, total knee replacement and total hip replacement. The son of an orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Gleason was inspired by the difference his father made in patients’ lives and the satisfaction it gave him. He keeps informed of the latest developments in his field through his work as a reviewer of articles submitted for publication to the research journal Spine and as an assistant clinical professor of orthopedic surgery at the University of Illinois College of Medicine at Chicago.
Additional Areas of Expertise
- Back, Neck & Spine
- General Orthopedics
- Total Joint Replacement – Knee
- Total Joint Replacement – Hip
- Independent Medical Evaluations (IME)
- Workers’ Compensation
Philosophy of Care
In providing care, Dr. Gleason looks at the patient as a whole, rather than focusing just on the spine or joint. He views his work as a partnership with his patient and educates them about their condition and treatment.
Loyola University, Stritch School of Medicine, Maywood IL
University of Illinois College of Medicine, Chicago, IL
Adult Spinal Problems
University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Research and Publications
- Goldstein, W.M., Raab, D.J., Gleason, T.F., Branson, J.J., Berland, K.: Why Posterior Cruciate. Retaining and Substituting Total Knee Replacements Have Similar Ranges of Motion. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. Pages 182-188, Volume 88-A, Supplement 4, 2006
- Biafora,S.J., Mardjetko, S.M., Butler, J.P., McCarthy, P.L., Gleason, T.F.: Arterial Injury following Percutaneous Vertebral Augmentation: A Case Report
Accepted for Publication in Spine, February, 2006 – Spine, 31:E84-E87, 2006
- Ponder, B.L., Gleason, T.F., and Mardjetko, S.M.: Neurophysiologic Intraoperative Monitoring during Percutaneous Thoracolumbar Kyphoplasty: A Multi-Modality Approach. Am. J. END Technol, 42:103-118, 2002
- Goldstein, W.M., Gleason, T.F., Kopplin, M., and Branson, J.J.: Prevalence of Dislocation After Total Hip Arthroplasty Through a Posterolateral Approach with Partial Capsulotomy and capsulorrhaphy. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. 2001; 83-A Supplement 2-1:2-7
- Ahuja, G.S., Gleason, Thomas F. and Suckow, Earl E.: Osteoblastoma of the Talus: Case Report and Literature Review. Contemporary Orthopaedics, November 1995
- Gleason, T.F. and Massey, T.H.: Late Sequelae of the Spinal Trauma. Chapter 22. Spinal Trauma, 563-580. Edited by Errico, T.J., Bauer, R.D., Waugh, T.J., B. Lippincott, Philedelphia, Pennsylvania, 1990.
- Kostuik, J.P., Errico, T.J., and Gleason, T.F.: Luque Instrumentation in Degenerative Conditions of the Lumbar Spine. Spine, 15:318-321, 1990.
- Cybulski, G.R., Greager, J.A., Gleason, T.F., Reyes, M.G. and Horuski, M.F.: Malignant Schwannoma (Neurofibrosarcoma) Metastatic to the Spine: Surgical Decompression and Stabilization. Spine, 14:549-551, 1989.
- Cybulski, G.R., Anson, J., Gleason, T.F., Horusi, M.F. and Reyes, M.G.: Aneurysmal Bone Cyst of the Thoracic Spine: Treatment and Segmental Stabilization with Luque Rods. Neurosurgery, 24:273-276, 1989
- Kostuik, J.P., Errico, T.J. and Gleason, T.F.: Spinal Stabilization of Vertebral Column Tumors. Spine, 13:250-256, 1988.56, 1988.
- Kostuik, J.P., Errico, T.J., and Gleason, T.F.: Techniques of Internal Fixation for Degenerative Conditions of the Lumbar Spine. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, 203:219-231, February 1986.
- Gleason, T.F., Goldstein, W.M., and Ray, R.D.: The Function of the Anconeus Muscle. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, 192:147-148, February 1985.
- Hall, R., and Gleason, T.F.: Simultaneous Closed Complex Dislocation of the Index, Long and Ring Finger: A Case Report. Journal of Hand Surgery, 10:81-85, January 1985.
- Gleason, T.F., Barmada, R. and Ghosh, L.: Can Carbon Fiber Implants Substitute for Collateral Ligaments. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, 191:274-280, December 1984.
- Gleason, T.F. and Goldstein, W.M.: Traumatic Recurrent Posterior Dislocation of the Radial Head: A Case Report. Clinical Orthopaedics and Relative Research, 184:186-189, April 1984.
- Gleason, T.F., Goldstein, W.M., and Ray, R.D.: The Function of the Anconeus Muscle. Letter to the Editor. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, 65:1031, 1983.
- Goldstein, W.M., Gleason, T.F., and Barmada, R.: A Comparison Between Arthrotomy and Irrigation and Multiple Aspirations in the Treatment of Pyogenic Arthritis. A Histologic Study in a Rabbit. Orthopaedics, 6:1309-1314, 1983.
- Gleason, T.F., and Abraham, E.: Bilateral Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Associated with Unilateral Duplication of the Flexor Digitorium Superficialis Muscle: A Case Report, The Hand. 14:48-50, 1982
- Gleason, T.F., Prinz, R.A., Kirsch, E.P., Jablokow, V., and Greenlee, H.R. :
Tuberculosis of the Duodenum. The American Journal of Gastroenterology, 72:36-40, 1979
- onorable Mention, First Annual Orthopaedic Writing Competition for Orthopaedic Residents
- Winner – Scientific paper on Trauma, The American College of Surgeons: 1983
- Midwest winner, Competition on Scientific Papers on Trauma, The American College of Surgeons: 1984
- Chosen as one of “America’s Top Physicians”, listed in the “Guide to America’s Top Physicians”, chosen by the Consumer’s Research Council of America
- Assistant Clinical Professor in Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Illinois Medical Center at Chicago, Illinois
- Faculty Member – Cook County Graduate School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois
- Preceptor – University of Nebraska – Physician Assistant Program/Master of Physician Assistant Studies.
- Chairman of Orthopaedic Surgery- Holy Family Medical Center
Visit My Websitehttp://www.gleasonortho.com/index.htm
Curriculum VitaeSee my Curriculum Vitae [PDF]
Additional Patient Feedback
“Dr. Gleason is the reason I go to IBJI. He is an amazing surgeon.”
See a general list of health plans in which our providers participate.
PLEASE NOTE: While many of IBJI’s providers participate in various plans from Blue Cross Blue Shield, Aetna,Cigna, Humana, United Healthcare and others, IBJI strongly encourages you to contact your specific health plan to ensure your chosen doctor is in-network.