- Evanston Hospital - NorthShore University Health System
- Glenbrook Hospital - NorthShore University Health System
- Illinois Sports Medicine & Orthopedic Surgery Center
- Presence Saint Francis Hospital
- Ravine Way Surgery Center, LLC
Areas of Expertise
- Sports Medicine
- Arthroscopic Surgery
- Shoulder and Knee Surgery
- Independent Medical Evaluations (IME)
Dr. Gregory Portland is a board-certified orthopaedic surgeon with an additional certification in sports medicine. He specializes in arthroscopic shoulder and knee surgery, including repair of dislocated shoulders; injuries to the rotator cuff, shoulder tendons, and knee ligaments; and meniscus (knee disk) tears. Depending on what is medically appropriate, he offers patients the most advanced arthroscopic and open incision surgical techniques.
Dr. Portland sustained injuries while playing college rugby, and the pleasure his doctor took in his work and the physician’s ability to repair the injuries and enable him to return to the same level of competitiveness inspired him to become an orthopaedic surgeon himself.
He sees his first role in providing care as being to educate patients to make sure they understand their condition and their treatment options. He believes well-educated patients are more likely to do what they need to do to help themselves get well.
Dr. Portland is a clinical associate professor at the University of Chicago’s Pritzker School of Medicine. He is the head team physician for Glenbrook North High School and previously has been a team physician for Northwestern University and a medical consultant for Major League Baseball and the National Football League.
The most rewarding thing for me is to run into a patient a year or two later, and they don’t even remember that their shoulder or knee hurt them."Gregory Portland, MD
University of Virginia School of Medicine
Northwestern Memorial Hospital- Orthopaedic Surgery
University of Adelaide and Royal Adelaide Hospital- Orthopaedic Sports Surgery
- “Stiffness, Viscosity, and Upper Limb Inertia About the Glenohumeral Abduction Axis.” L. Zhang, Ph.D.; G. Portland, M.D.; G. Wang, M.S.; C. DiRaimondo, M.D.; G. Nuber, M.D.; M. Bowen, M.D.; and R. Hendrix, M.D. Journal of Orthopaedic Research. 18(1): 94-100, Jan. 2000. “Acute Surgical Management of Jones’ Fractures. Portland G, Kelikian A, and Kodros S. Foot and Ankle International. 24(11): 829-33, 2003.
- “Injury to the Infrapatellar Branch of the Saphenous Nerve in Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconsturction: Comparison of Horizontal Versus Vertical Harvest Site Incisions.” Portland GH, Martin D, Keene G, and Menz T. Arthroscopy. 21(3): 281-285, 2005.
- Augustine Todd Scholarship winner, Society of the Cincinnati in the State of Virginia
- Magna Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa, Dartmouth College, Hanover, New Hampshire – 1991
- Honors awarded in major for thesis paper, “The Legitimization of the Ch’in Dynasty”
- Gannett Newspaper Carrier Scholarship Winner – 1987
- Senior Clinician Educator, Pritzker School of Medicine, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Chicago, IL; 2012 – Present
- Clinical Instructor, University of Chicago Medicine School, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery 2009 – present
- Clinical Instructor, Pritzker School of Medicine, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Chicago, IL; 2009-2011
- Clinical Instructor, Northwestern University Medical School, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Chicago, Illinois 2001 – 2009
- Team Physician, Northwestern University 2001 – 2009
- Team Physician, Glenbrook North High School 2003 – present
- Orthopaedic Consultant, Chicago Griffins Rugby Club, 2001 – present
View Dr. Portland's Media
Knee Pain and Injuries
Guiding Parents and Young Athletes During COVID 19
Dr. Portland Introduction
“I would like to compliment Dr. Portland and his team for their fine professionalism and care during my recent knee experience. To start off with, Dr. Portland’s administrative assistant, Linda, is topnotch. I feel better the moment I hear her voice on the other end of the phone. She always takes care of what I need in a very courteous, friendly, and efficient manner. Linda is a wonderful person to have at the front door of the practice. Molly, Dr. Portland’s Medical Assistant, is calm, sweet, and attentive. Every time I see her I know that I will be taken care of with the utmost attention and concern. Her positivity radiates from her the minute she walks in the room. Alex, Dr. Portland’s Physician’s Assistant, is energetic, vibrant, and knowledgeable. She is good at explaining what needs to be conveyed, and answers questions effectively. Dr. Portland is a good listener, and he tries various approaches to relieve pain. He presents options and then carefully pays attention to what I think. His sense of humor and calm nature contribute to me feeling confident in my treatment plan. I am quite grateful that I have Dr. Portland, Alex, Molly, and Linda on my knee team!” – Debbie F.
“I could not be more impressed with Dr. Portland’s team. Linda, Molly and Greg are some of the nicest and most professional people that I have ever met. I had shoulder surgery yesterday and every aspect of all of my visits exceeded my expectations. Thank you for putting such an amazing team together.” – Alan D.
“Dr. Portland treated me with respect, and dignity, and candor. I very much appreciate his approach to treating patients, and recommend him unconditionally.”
“Love Dr. Portland. He is a great listener has a wonderful patient/medical relationship and is continually not giving up on me, which a lot of other doctors have!!”