Dr. James Hill is a fellowship-trained, board-certified member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. He is committed to the highest quality of care in the treatment of joint disease, sports injuries and trauma to the musculoskeletal system. He is particularly interested in problems involving the shoulder, elbow, hip and knee. Dr. Hill believes in personalized, individual treatment plans for his patients, incorporating all forms of proven, non-operative treatment into patient care before considering surgical options.
He completed a fellowship specializing in complex shoulder and elbow reconstruction at the prestigious California Pacific Medical Center in San Francisco, California. There, he helped develop innovative surgical treatment for rotator cuff injuries as well as shoulder and elbow instability problems, arthroscopic techniques, joint replacement procedures, treatment of complex fractures and injury complications.
Trained in and performing many state-of-the-art hip and knee procedures, Dr. Hill was the first physician in Illinois to perform interposition knee arthropathy and now performs minimally invasive, robotic assisted knee replacement. He was also trained early in a hip resurfacing procedure before it was released for use in the United States. His superior skills with minimal incision, muscle sparing surgical approaches paired with using the best age appropriate materials and implants, have provided Dr. Hill’s patients unprecedented success and an incredibly low complication rate.
Additional Areas of Expertise
- Total Joint Replacement (Knee, Hip, Shoulder)
- Sports Medicine
- Workers’ Compensation
- Independent Medical Examinations
Philosophy of Care
My goal is to provide the highest quality, individualized care to my patients to ensure the best outcome possible.
California Pacific Medical Center, San Francisco CA
Shoulder & Upper Extremity
Creighton-Nebraska University Health Foundation
Creighton University, Omaha NE
Research and Publications
- Hill, JM: Ion-Exchange High-Performance Liquid Chromatography in the Isolation of Neurotoxins from C. Sculpturatus, Master’s Thesis, Creighton University, 1986.
- Hill, JM: Fractures of the Shoulder. Orthopedic Secrets. Brown, DE, Neumann RD eds. Philadelphia, PA: Hanley & Belfus, 1995.
- Hill, JM, Crosby, LA & Walz, BW: “Factors Affecting Outcome in the Treatment of Displaced Middle Third Clavicle Fractures.” Submitted for publication in Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery. Nominated for Neer Award.
- Hill, JM, McGuire, MH & Crosby, LA: “Closed Treatment of Displaced Middle-Third Fractures of the Clavicle Gives Poor Results.” Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery (Br) Vol 79-B, No. 4, pp. 537-539, 1997.
- Hill, JM and Phillips, EP: “Cervical Pain Secondary to Atlanto-Occipital Fusion in a Swimmer.” Orthopedics, Vol 20, No 3, pp. 270-271, March 1997.
- Hill, JM: Chapter entitled “Indications” in Total Shoulder Arthroplasty. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Monograph Series. Crosby, LA, editor. Pp. 17-25, copyright 2000.
- Hill, JM and Norris, TR: “Long-Term Results of Total Shoulder Arthroplasty Following Bone-Grafting of the Glenoid.” The Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, Vol 83-A, No. 6, pp. 877-883, June 2001.
- Hill, JM and Norris, TR: Chapter entitled “Open Rotator Cuff Repair” in Atlas of Shoulder Surgery. Martin Dunitz Publishers. Fu, FH and Ticker, JB, editors.
- Hill, JM and Norris, TR: Chapter entitled “Rotator Cuff Disease: Open Repair Techniques” in Operative Orthopaedics: Principles and Practice. Appleton & Lange, publishers. Zuckerman, JD, editor of Shoulder and Humerus Section.
See CV for additional Research and Publications.
- Henry W. Meyerding, M.D. Annual Essay Award Winner,
- The American Fracture Association, Third Place, May 1995
- Nominated for Neer Award, “Factors Affecting Outcome in the Treatment of Displaced Middle Third Clavicle Fractures”, Presented at American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons, Eleventh Open Meeting, February 19, 1995, Orlando, FL
Curriculum Vitae See my Curriculum Vitae
- Aetna EPO, HMO, PPO, POS, NAP
- Aetna Medicare Advantage PPO, HMO
- Aetna Whole Health
- Beech Street/Concentra/Viant PPO and Workers’ Compensation
- Blue Advantage PPO
- Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO, BlueChoice PPO, HMO, HMOI, HMO Advantage,
- Blue Precision HMO, Medicare Advantage, MMAI Plan (some physicians)
- CareIQ, Rehab for Workers Compensation
- CCN POS
- CCN PPO
- Cigna HMO, PPO, POS
- CorVel PPO, Workers’ Compensation
- Coventry Medicare Advantage PPO, HMO
- Coventry PPO, Workers’ Compensation
- Encompass (surgery network for injured workers)
- First Health PPO
- Healthcare’s Finest Network PPO, Workers’ Compensation
- HealthLink Plans HMO, PPO
- HMO Illinois (some physicians)
- Humana MMAI, HMO, POS, PPO
- Imagine Health/Smart Network (MRI/CT Services, Rehab Services, and some Physicians)
- Longevity Health Medicare Advantage HMO
- MedRisk (Rehab services for injured workers)
- MultiPlan/Private Health Care Systems PPO
- One Call Medical Network (Imaging services for injured workers)
- One Call Care Management (Rehab services for injured workers)
- Orchid Medical (Rehab services for injured workers)
- PPO Next (aka HealthStar PPO, Preferred Health Network PPO)
- Preferred Network Access PPO
- Preferred Plan PPO
- Premier Comp Solutions (imaging services only)
- Sunrise Advantage Medicare Advantage Plan
- Therapy Direct (Rehab services for injured workers)
- Union Health Service
- UnitedHealthcare HMO, Open Access, POS, PPO
- Healthcare’s Finest Network
- MedRisk (Rehab/Work Comp)