Matthew L. Jimenez, MD
- Advocate Lutheran General Hospital
- Illinois Sports Medicine & Orthopedic Surgery Center
BiographyMatthew L. Jimenez, M.D., FACS is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon, fellowship-trained in joint and pelvis reconstruction, specializing in orthopedic fracture care and joint reconstruction. His patient-centered focus is on soft-tissue preservation and rapid recovery. He has a special interest and expertise in the Direct Anterior Approach for total hip arthroplasty. Dr. Jimenez received his M.D. degree from the University of Iowa College of Medicine in 1989 after completing his undergraduate training at the University of Utah. After earning his medical degree, Dr. Jimenez completed his residency in orthopaedic surgery at Northwestern University. He then completed a one-year post graduate fellowship in orthopaedic trauma and joint reconstruction at the University of Toronto, Sunnybrook Medical Center, under the direction of Dr. Marvin Tile. The American Board of Othopaedic Surgeons certified Dr. Jimenez as a diplomat in 1997. Matthew Jimenez, MD is an active member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. He is currently a member of the AAOS Board of Councilors, as well as many AAOS committees. He is a graduate of the AAOS’ Leadership Fellows Program. Dr. Jimenez is the Past President of the Illinois Association of Orthopaedic Surgeons. He is also a fellow of the American College of Surgeons. Dr. Jimenez maintains faculty appointment as Clinical Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at the University of Illinois at Chicago. He holds leadership roles within Illinois Bone & Joint Institute, where he has been the Chairman of the Physician Assistant Orthopaedic Residency Training Program since 1997, and Site Director of the UIC Orthopaedic Residency Training Program. Dr. Jimenez developed and chairs the Chicago Trauma Symposium, which is a four day multidisciplinary trauma course in its 18th year. He lectures extensively, nationally and internationally. He has served as chairman and faculty on many educational forums in trauma and fracture care. Dr. Jimenez has extensive research experience. He was the principal investigator for a multi-center prospective trial studying “Somatic Stem Cells for Recalcitrant Nonunions”. He has published several chapters and articles, along with presenting numerous scientific presentations and exhibits. He is a leader, dedicated to education. Dr. Jimenez is the Founder and CEO of the Foundation for Education and Musculoskeletal Research (FEMR). He started FEMR, a non-profit organization, in 2008 with the mission to become a resource for unbiased information to promote musculoskeletal health and research, prevent fragility fractures and increase awareness of osteoporosis and related bone trauma and disabilities. Dr. Jimenez is a compassionate leader and dedicated hip, knee and pelvis reconstruction surgeon, committed to educating and healing the community.
Additional Areas of Expertise
Philosophy of Care
The patient always comes first! Patient safety and excellent outcomes are my prime focus. I will do everything in my power to help my patients achieve their goals.
College of Medicine, The University of Iowa
Northwestern University, Chicago IL
Orthopaedic Trauma & Joint Reconstruction
Sunnybrook Medical Center, University of Toronto
Research and Publications
- Shah, R., Goldstein, J., Cipparrone, N., Gordon, A., Jimenez, M., Goldstein, W.; “Alarmingly High Rate of Implant Fractures in One Modular Femoral Stem Design: A Comparison of Two Implants” accepted J Arthroplasty, 32(2017): 3157-3162.
- Goldstein, W.M., Jimenez, M.L., Gordon, A.C., Branson, J.J., Berland, K; Use of a Sentinel Pin as a Guide to Acetabular Component Anteversion in Total Hip Arthroplasty. The Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, Am 88: 97-100, 2006.
- Goldstein, W.M., Jimenez, M.L., Bailie, D.; Safety of a Clinical Surveillance Protocol with Three and Six Week Warfarin Prophylaxis After Total Joint Arthroplasty. Orthopedics, 24(7): 651-654, 2001.
See CV (link below) for additional Research & Publications
- AAOS Achievement Award Recipient, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 2010
- Artist, AAOS Art Exhibit, 2008 eMotion Pictures: An Exhibit or Orthopaedic Art & 2010 Wounded in Action: An Art Exhibit of Orthopaedic Advancements
- University of Iowa College of Medicine, Oxford Scholar, 1989
- Board of Directors, Illinois Bone & Joint Institute, 2011-Present
- Top Doctor 2012, 2013
- Clinical Professor, University of Illinois at Chicago, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, 2007-Present
- Residency Program Director, Advocate Lutheran General Hospital, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, 2011-Present
- Past President, Illinois Association of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 2011-Present
- Board of Councilors, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 2003-2009
- Leadership Fellows Program, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 2003-2004
Visit My Websitehttps://drjimenez.com/
Curriculum VitaeSee my Curriculum Vitae [PDF]
See a general list of health plans in which our providers participate.
PLEASE NOTE: While many of IBJI’s providers participate in various plans from Blue Cross Blue Shield, Aetna,Cigna, Humana, United Healthcare and others, IBJI strongly encourages you to contact your specific health plan to ensure your chosen doctor is in-network.