Richard Kang, MD
Richard Kang, MD
- Arthroscopic Surgery
- Sports Medicine
- Shoulder, Hip, Knee, and Elbow
- Hip Arthroscopy
- Cartilage Repair and Restoration
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- Orthopaedic Sports Medicine
- Certificate in Evaluation of Disability and Impairment Ratings
Barrington Physician Offices
27401 W. Highway 22
Barrington, IL 60010
- Advocate Good Shepherd Hospital
BiographyDr. Richard Kang is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon, fellowship-trained in Sports Medicine and Shoulder Surgery. He performs arthroscopic and other minimally invasive procedures of the hip, shoulder, knee, and elbow. “My objective is to delay or prevent the onset of arthritis and the need for a joint replacement. I do this by utilizing modern techniques to preserve the natural joint”. He treats a variety of conditions including athletic hip injuries, hip femoroacetabular impingement (FAI), hip labral tears, rotator cuff tears, shoulder instability, biceps tendon injuries, meniscus tears, and complex ligamentous tears of the knee. He also has expertise in cartilage restorative procedures of the hip, knee, and shoulder. Prior to joining IBJI, Dr. Kang was an attending surgeon in orthopedic sports medicine and arthroscopy, and also served as director of the hip preservation program at the University of Chicago Medical Center. Dr. Kang has published extensively on various topics within orthopedic surgery. His publications include numerous peer-reviewed manuscripts, multiple book chapters, and surgical technique videos. Dr. Kang also teaches surgical techniques at the Orthopaedic Learning Center where he provides training to other surgeons from around the world. His research experience spans from developing novel basic science models to clinical outcomes studies, and has received a number of awards and grants. Notable research support includes that of the National Institutes of Health (NIH) as well as the Orthopedic Research and Education Foundation (OREF). Additionally, Dr. Kang serves as a reviewer for several major journals in the field of orthopedic surgery. He also has experience as a team physician for high school, college and professional sports teams, including the New York Mets. He currently serves as an affiliate team physician for the New York Mets.
Additional Areas of Expertise
Philosophy of Care
I am dedicated to alleviating pain and restoring patients’ quality of life.
Affilations and Associations
– American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
– American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
– American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
– Arthroscopy Association of North America
Rush University Medical College
Rush University Medical College
Orthopaedic Sports Medicine and Shoulder Surgery
Hospital for Special Surgery
Research and Publications
- Alford JW, Lewis P, Kang RW, Cole BJ. Rapid Progression of Chondral Disease in the Lateral Compartment of the Knee Following Meniscectomy. Arthroscopy 2005 Dec; 21(12):1505-1509.
- Wimmer MA, Kang RW, Pacione C, Williams JM, Chubinskaya S, Cole BJ. Mechanical and cellular response of impaction cycles on osteochondral grafts. European Cells & Materials Journal 2006; 12(suppl. 1):20.
- Kang RW, Lattermann C, Cole BJ. Allograft Meniscus Transplantation: Background, Indications, Techniques, and Outcomes. Journal of Knee Surgery 2006 Jul;19(3):220-230.
- Lee SJ, Aadalen KJ, Malaviya P, Lorenz EP, Hayden JK, Farr J, Kang RW, Cole BJ. Tibiofemoral Contact Mechanics Following Serial Meniscectomies in the Human Cadaveric Knee. American Journal of Sports Medicine 2006 Aug; 34(8):1334-1344.
- Gomoll AH, Kang RW, Williams JM, Bach BR, Cole BJ. Chondrolysis after Continuous Intra-Articular Bupivacaine Infusion: An Experimental Model Investigating Chondrotoxicity in the Rabbit Shoulder. Arthroscopy 2006 Aug; 22(8):813-819.
- Lattermann C, Kang RW, Cole BJ. What’s New in the Treatment of Focal Chondral Defects of the Knee? Orthopedics 2006 Oct;29(10):898-903.
- Lewis PB, McCarty LP, Kang RW, Cole BJ. Basic Science & Treatment Options for Articular Cartilage Injuries. Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy 2006 Oct;36(10):717-727.
- Gomoll AH, McCulloch PC, Kang RW, Cole BJ. Treatment of Chondral Defects in the Shoulder. Operative Techniques in Orthopaedics 2006 Oct;16(4):232-243.
- McCulloch PC, Kang RW, Cole BJ. Osteochondral Allografts for Large Defects in the Knee. Techniques in Knee Surgery 2006;5(3):165-173.
- McCulloch PC, Kang RW, Sobhy MH, Hayden JK, Cole BJ. Prospective Evaluation of Prolonged Fresh Osteochondral Allograft Transplantation of the Femoral Condyle: Minimum 2 Year Follow-Up. American Journal of Sports Medicine 2007 Mar; 35(3):411-420.
- Kang RW, Lewis PB, Kramer A, Hayden JK, Cole BJ. Prospective Randomized Single-Blinded Controlled Clinical Trial of Percutaneous Neuromodulation Pain Therapy Device versus Sham for the Osteoarthritic Knee: a pilot study. Orthopedics 2007 Jun; 30(6):439-445.
- Cole BJ, McCarty LP, Kang RW, Alford W, Lewis PB, Hayden JK. Arthroscopic Rotator Cuff Repair: Prospective Functional Outcome and Repair Integrity at Minimum 2-Year Follow-up. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery 2007 Sep-Oct; 16(5):579-585.
- Walczak BE, McCulloch PM, Kang RW, Zelazny A, Cole BJ. Abnormal Findings on Knee MRI in Asymptomatic NBA Basketball Players. Journal of Knee Surgery 2008;21(1):27-33.
- Kang RW, Gomoll AH, Nho SJ, Pylawka TK, Cole BJ. Outcomes after Mechanical Debridement and Radiofrequency Ablation in the Treatment of Chondral Defects – A Prospective Randomized Study. Journal of Knee Surgery 2008 Apr;21(2):116-121.
- Gomoll AH, Yanke AB, Kang RW, Chubinskaya S, Williams JM, Bach BR, Cole BJ. Long-Term Effects of Bupivacaine on Cartilage in a Rabbit Shoulder Model. American Journal of Sports Medicine 2008;37(1):72-77.
- Singaraju VM, Kang RW, Yanke AB, McNickle AG, Lewis PB, Wang VM, Williams JM, Chubinskaya S, Romeo AA, Cole BJ. Biceps Tendinitis in Chronic Rotator Cuff Tears: A Histologic Perspective. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery 2008 Nov-Dec;17(6):898-904.
- Gomoll AH, Kang RW, Chen AL, Cole BJ. Triad of Cartilage Restoration for Unicompartmental Arthritis Treatment in Young Patients: Meniscus Allograft Transplantation, Cartilage Repair, and Osteotomy. Journal of Knee Surgery 2009;22(2):137-141.
- Koyonos L, Yanke AB, McNickle AG, Kirk SS, Kang RW, Lewis PB, Cole BJ. A Randomized, Prospective, Double-Blind Study to Investigate the Effectiveness of Adding DepoMedrol to a Local Anesthetic Injection in Postmeniscectomy Patients with Osteoarthritis of the Knee. American Journal of Sports Medicine 2009 Jun;37(6):1077-1082.
- Kang RW, Frank RM, Nho SJ, Ghodadra NS, Verma NN, Romeo AA, Provencher MT. Complications Associated with Anterior Shoulder Instability Repair. Arthroscopy 2009 Aug;25(8):909-920.
- Lewis PB, McCarty LP, Yao JQ, Williams JM, Kang RW, Cole BJ. Fixation of Tissue-Engineered Human Neocartilage Constructs with Human Fibrin in a Caprine Model. Journal of Knee Surgery, 2009;22(3):196-204.
- Kang RW, Friel NA, Williams JM, Cole BJ, Wimmer MA. Effect of Impaction Sequence on Osteochondral Graft Damage: The Role of Repeated and Varying Loads. American Journal of Sports Medicine 2010;38(1):105-113.
- Balash P, Kang RW, Schwenke T, Cole BJ, Wimmer MA. Osteochondral Tissue Cell Viability is affected by Total Impulse during Impaction Grafting. Cartilage; 2010 Oct;1(4):270-5.
- Kang RW, McGill KC, Lin J, Gitelis S. Extranodal Rosai-Dorfman Disease with Isolated Osseous Involvement: An Unusual Case. Rush Orthopedics Journal. 2011; 27-31.
- Kang RW, Strauss EJ, Barker J, Bach BR. The Effect of Donor Age on Bone Mineral Density in Irradiated Bone-Patellar Tendon-Bone Allografts of the ACL. American Journal of Sports Medicine 2011; 39(2):380-3.
- Kang RW, McGill KC, Lin J, Gitelis S. Chronic Ankle Pain and Swelling in a 25-year-old Woman: An Unusual Case. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. 2011;469(5): 1517-21.
- Strauss EJ, Kang RW, Bush-Joseph C, Bach BR. The diagnosis and management of spontaneous and post-arthroscopy osteonecrosis of the knee. Bulletin of the NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases. 2011;69(4):320-30.
- Hsu AR, Bhatia S, Kang RW, Arvanitis L, Nicholson GP, Virkus WW. Extranodal Rosai-Dorfman Disease Presenting as an Isolated Glenoid Lesion in a High School Athlete. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery. 2012 Jan;21(1):e6-e11.
- Lee AS, Kang RW, Kroin E, Verma NN, Cole BJ. Allograft Meniscus Transplantation. Sports Medicine and Arthroscopy Review. 2012;20(2):106-14.
- Kang RW, Yanke AB, Espinoza Orias A, Inoue N, Nho SJ. Novel 3-D Quantification and Classification of Cam Lesions in Patients With Femoroacetabular Impingement. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. 2013 Feb;471(2):358-62.
- Yanke AB, Bell R, Lee AS, Kang RW, Mather RC, Shewman EF, Wang VM, Bach BR. The Biomechanical Effects of 1.0-1.2 MRad of Gamma Irradiation on Human Bone-Patellar Tendon-Bone Allografts. American Journal of Sports Medicine. 2013 Apr;41(4):835-40.
- Van Thiel GS, Harris JD, Kang RW, Chahal J, Della Valle CJ, Bush-Joseph C, Nho SJ. Age-Related Differences in Radiographic Parameters for Femoroacetabular Impingement in Hip Arthroplasty Patients. Arthroscopy: The Journal of Arthroscopic and Related Surgery. 2013 Jul;29(7):1182-7.
- Kang RW, Van Thiel GS, Chahal J, Della Valle CJ, Bush-Joseph C, Nho SJ. Age-Related Differences in Radiographic Parameters for Femoroacetabular Impingement in Hip Arthroplasty Patients. Rush Orthopedics Journal. 2013: 40-44.
- Kang RW, Mahony GT, Harris TC, Dines JS. Posterior Instability Caused by “Batter’s Shoulder”. Clinics in Sports Medicine. 2013: 797-802.
- Kang RW, Mahony GT, Cordasco FA. Pectoralis Major Repair With Cortical Button Technique. Arthroscopy Techniques. 2014: e1-5.
- Moran CJ, Fabricant PD, Kang RW, Cordasco FA. Arthroscopic Double Row Anterior Stabilization and Bankart Repair for the “High-Risk” Athlete. Arthroscopy Techniques. 2014: e1-7.
- Wang RN, Green J, Wang Z, Deng Y, Qiao M, Peabody M, Zhang Q, Ye J, Yan Z, Denduluri S, Idowu O, Li M, Shen C, Hu A, Haydon RC, Kang R, Mok J, Lee MJ, Luu HL, Shi LL. Bone Morphogenetic Protein (BMP) signaling in development and human diseases. Genes Dis. 2014 Sep;1(1):87-105.
- Jo A, Denduluri S, Zhang B, Wang Z, Yin L, Yan Z, Kang R, Shi LL, Mok J, Lee MJ, Haydon RC. The versatile functions of Sox9 in development, stem cells, and human diseases. Genes Dis. 2014 Dec;1(2):149-161.
- Lamplot JD, Angeline M, Angeles J, Beederman M, Wagner E, Rastegar F, Scott B, Skjong C, Mass D, Leland M, Haydon RC, Luu HH, He TC, Kang RW, Ho S, Shi LL. Distinct Effects of Platelet-Rich Plasma and BMP13 on Rotator Cuff Tendon Injury Healing in a Rat Model. American Journal of Sports Medicine. 2014 Dec;42(12):2877-87.
- Fabricant PD, Taylor SA, McCarthy MM, Gausden EB, Moran CJ, Kang RW, Cordasco FA. Open and Arthroscopic Shoulder Stabilization. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery Reviews. 2015. Feb 3; 3(2):e4.
- Denduluri SK, Scott B, Lamplot JD, Yin L, Yan Z, Wang Z, Ye J, Wang J, Wei O, Mohammed MK, Haydon RC, Kang RW, He TC, Athiviraham A, Ho SH, and Shi LL Immortalized Mouse Achilles Tenocytes Demonstrate Long-Term Proliferative Capacity while Retaining Tenogenic Properties. Tissue Engineering, Part C: Methods. 2016;22(3):280-9.
- Patel SD, Boxley PJ, Kang RW. Arthroscopic ACL Femoral Tunnel Visualization forButton Fixation. Arthroscopy Techniques. 2017 June;6(3):e585-e589
- Kang RW. Blood Is Thicker Than Water: Commentary on an article by Lionel E.Lazaro, MD, et al.: “Quantitative Assessment of Femoral Head Perfusion FollowingArthroscopic Femoral Osteochondroplasty. A Cadaveric Study”. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. 2017 Dec 20;99(24):e136.
Books and Book Chapters
- Pylawka TK, Kang RW, Cole BJ. Articular Cartilage Injuries. In: Schepsis AA, Busconi B, eds. Sports Medicine. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2006; Chapter 30. Pages 418-429.
- Flik KR, Lewis P, Kang RW, Cole BJ. Articular Cartilage. In: Johnson and Mair, eds. Clinical Sports Medicine. Churchill Livingstone, Philadelphia, PA, 2006; Chapter 49. Pages 505-514.
- Kang RW. Thesis: Surgical Impaction Damages Osteochondral Grafts – A Controlled Laboratory Study of the Biologic Effects of Repeated and Varying Loads on Osteochondral Grafts [Rush University, 2007. ProQuest – Publication number AAT 1442987]
- Kang RW, Gomoll AH, Cole BJ. Osteochondral Allografting in the Knee. In: Cole BJ and Sekiya JK, eds. Surgical Techniques of the Shoulder, Elbow, and Knee in Sports Medicine. Saunders-Elsevier, Philadelphia, PA, 2008, pages 549-558.
- Kang RW, Cole BJ, Romeo AA, Provencher MT. Case Examples. In: Cole BJ and Romeo AA, eds. Management of the Active Patient with Glenohumeral Arthritis. An AAOS Monograph. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Rosemont, IL, 2010.
- Gomoll A, Kang R, Cole BJ: Osteochondral allografting in the knee. Ch. 68. In: Cole BJ, Sekiya JK, eds. Surgical Techniques of the Shoulder, Elbow, and Knee in Sports Medicine, Second Edition. Philadelphia: Elsevier (Saunders), 2013.
- Kang RW, Ma R, Pais DA, Williams RJ III: Trufit®, Chapter 7. In: AA Shetty, Seok-Jung Kim, Norimasa Nakamura, Mats Brittberg. Techniques in Cartilage Repair Surgery. Springer European Society of Sports Traumatology Knee Surgery and Arthroscopy, 2013.
- Kang RW, Wiliams PN, Urch E, Harris TC, Dines, JS. Posterior Instability Caused by “Batter’s Shoulder”. Chapter 25. In: Dodson CC, Dines DM, Dines JS, Walch G, Williams Jr G, eds. Controversies in Shoulder Instability. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, 2014.
- Kang RW, Park C, Ranawat A. Computed Tomography Scan of the Hip and Pelvis. In: Nho S, Leunig M, Kelly B, Bedi A, Larson C, eds. Hip Arthroscopy and Hip Joint Preservation Surgery. New York, NY: Springer New York, 2014.
- Voos JE, Coleman SH, Kang RW, Barnthouse NC. Surgical Technique: Arthroscopic Microfracture of Acetabular Articular Cartilage Lesions. In: Nho S, Leunig M, Kelly B, Bedi A, Larson C, eds. Hip Arthroscopy and Hip Joint Preservation Surgery. New York, NY: Springer New York, 2014.
- 1997 Alpha Lambda Delta for Outstanding Freshman Student, Northwestern University
- 1999 Golden Key National Honor Society, Northwestern University
- 2000 Omega Chi Epsilon for Outstanding Chemical Engineering Student, Northwestern University
- 2000 Faricy Award for Achievement in the Creative Arts, Northwestern University
- 2000 Cum Laude, Northwestern University
- 2003 Dean’s Research Fellowship, Rush Medical College
- 2004 Outstanding Student Research Award -Sigma Xi Poster Session, Rush University Research Forum
- 2005 Howard Hughes Medical Institute-National Institutes of Health Research Scholarship -Finalist
- 2005 Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society -Junior Year Selection
- 2005 Society of Vascular Surgery Annual Scholarship
- 2006 Alpha Omega Alpha Student Research Fellowship
- 2006 Outstanding Research Poster-Sigma Xi Poster Session, Rush University Forum for Research and Clinical Investigation
- 2011 Mid-America Orthopaedic Association Education Grant
- 2011 Orthopaedic Research & Education Foundation -Resident Education Grant
- Affiliate team physician for New York Mets baseball
- Instructor, American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM) –Hip Arthroscopy Surgical Skills Courses
- Instructor, Arthroscopy Association of North America (AANA) – Shoulder and Knee Arthroscopy Surgical Skills Courses
- Instructor, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) – Shoulder and Knee Arthroscopy Surgical Skills Courses
- Associate Master Instructor, Arthroscopy Association of North America (AANA)
- Reviewer, American Journal of Sports Medicine
- Reviewer, Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery
- Reviewer, Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery
- Reviewer, Orthopaedic Journal of Sports Medicine
- Assistant Professor, University of Chicago Medical Center Department of Orthopaedic Surgery (2013-2017)
Curriculum VitaeSee my Curriculum Vitae [PDF]
See a general list of health plans in which our providers participate.
PLEASE NOTE: While many of IBJI’s providers participate in various plans from Blue Cross Blue Shield, Aetna,Cigna, Humana, United Healthcare and others, IBJI strongly encourages you to contact your specific health plan to ensure your chosen doctor is in-network.
December 2017 podcast - Dr. Kang featured at 18:35
IBJI Centers of Excellence
The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, Commentary and Perspective