- Advocate Lutheran General Hospital
- Golf Surgical Center
- Illinois Sports Medicine & Orthopedic Surgery Center
- Northwest Community Day Surgery Center
- Ravine Way Surgery Center, LLC
- Skokie Hospital - NorthShore University Health System
Areas of Expertise
- Shoulder Arthroscopy
- Elbow Arthroscopy
- Wrist Arthroscopy
- Shoulder Arthritis
- Elbow Arthritis
- Wrist Arthritis
- Endoscopic Carpal Tunnel
- Fracture Care
- Peripheral Nerves
- Rotator Cuff Surgery
Dr. Leigh-Anne Tu is an orthopedic surgeon with subspecialty fellowship training in hand and upper extremity. She treats a variety of conditions for the shoulder, elbow, wrist and hand, ranging from arthritis to trauma and pediatric conditions. Some of the treatments that Dr. Tu offers include shoulder arthroscopy for rotator cuff injury, elbow and wrist arthroscopy, fracture care, as well as peripheral nerve decompression and reconstruction. Originally from Ohio, Dr. Tu received her undergraduate degree from the University of Pennsylvania, where she majored in Biology. She received her Medical Degree from Jefferson Medical College. Following that, Dr. Tu completed her residency at Case Western Reserve University and her fellowship at the University of Pittsburgh.
What Dr. Tu enjoys most about her job is the ability to see many different types of patients of all ages with a variety of injuries. Through her specialization in hand and upper extremity, she understands that any injury of the hand can be both devastating and debilitating, and therefore, strives to include her patients in the decision-making process, every step of the way. She believes in connecting with her patients on a personal level and working with them as a team to achieve their treatment goals.
Dr. Tu stays up-to-date with the newest techniques and cutting-edge technologies, while maintaining her commitment to providing evidence-based care for her patients.
In her spare time, Dr. Tu and her husband like to get outdoors and be active. Together, they enjoy bike riding, hiking, traveling, as well as cooking and trying new restaurants.
I hope to create a trusting relationship with my patients so that I can treat them properly and get them back to doing what they love."Leigh-Anne Tu, MD
Undergraduate, Bachelor of Arts
University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA- Major in Biology with honors
Jefferson Medical College- Doctor of Medicine
University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA- Hand and Upper Extremity Fellowship
Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio- Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
Affiliations and Associations
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Ohio Orthopaedic Society Residency Advisory Council (2016-2019)
- Guha S, Baltazar GC, Tu LA, Liu J, Lim JC, Lu W, Argall A, Boesze-Battaglia K, Laties AM, Mitchell CH. Stimulation of the D5 dopamine receptor acidifies the lysosomal pH of retinal pigmented epithelial cells and decreases accumulation of autofluorescent photoreceptor debris. J Neurochem. 2012 Aug; 122(4):823-33.
- Guha S, Baltazar GC, Coffey EE, Tu LA, Lim JC, Beckel JM, Eysteinsson T, Lu W, O’Brien-Jenkins A, Patel S, Laties AM, Mitchell CH. Lysosomal alkalinization, lipid oxidation, impaired autophagy and reduced phagosome clearance triggered by P2X7 receptor activation in retinal pigmented epithelial cells. FASEB J. 2013 Nov; 27(11):4500-9.
- Tu LA, Knapik DE, Sheehan J, Salata MJ, Voos JE. Prevalence of Jones fracture repair and impact on short-term NFL participation. Foot Ankle Int. 2018 Jan;39(1):6-10.
- Morris WZ, Fowers CA, Weinberg DS, Millis MB, Tu LA, Liu RW. Hip morphology predicts posterior ischiofemoral impingement in a cadaveric model. Hip Int. 2019 May;29(3):322-327.
- Knapik DM, Tu LA, Sheehan J, Salata MJ, Voos JE, Malone KJ. Scaphoid fracture repair does not significantly diminish short-term participation in the National Football League. HSS J. 2019 July; 15(2):137-142.
- Collier CD, Su CA, Reich MS, Tu LA, Getty PJ. Six-week interval between preoperative radiation and surgery is associated with fewer major wound complications in soft tissue sarcoma. Am J Clin Oncol. 2020 Jul;43(7):491-495.
- Wang, JH, Du, JY, Tu LA, Brown, CC, Chepla, K, Bafus, BT: A Comparison of 30-Day Perioperative Complications for Open Operative Care of Distal Upper-Extremity Fractures Treated by Orthopedic Versus Plastic Surgeons: A Study of the National Surgical Quality Improvement (NSQIP) Database. Journal of Hand Surgery Global Online 2020;2:84–89.
- Kurlander DE, Swanson M, Tu LA, Kumar AR, Long TC, Lineberry KD, Khouri JS. Pulley Release and Reconstruction With Acellular Dermal Matrix After Zone 2 Flexor Tendon Injury. Tech Hand Up Extrem Surg. 2020 Sep 9. Epub ahead of print.
- Tu LA, Liu R. Epiphyseodesis Prediction and Technique. Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America (POSNA) Study Guide 2016. https://posna.org/Physician-Education/Study-Guide/Epiphyseodesis-Prediction-and-Technique. Accessed August 20, 2016