Michael Lewis, MD
- Highland Park Hospital - NorthShore University Health System
- Skokie Hospital - NorthShore University Health System
Meet Michael Lewis
Dr. Michael Lewis is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon who specializes in sports medicine. He has been a consultant to the Chicago Wolves, the Chicago White Sox and the Chicago Bulls, with whom he earned two championship rings during the 1996-1998 seasons. In addition, he has treated numerous world-class athletes from several continents, including an Olympic gold medal winner. Dr. Lewis’ practice includes advanced arthroscopic procedures on the knee and shoulder. His own contributions to the development of the field include the invention of a widely used device used to pare tissue between bones during arthroscopic surgery.
Influenced by the idealism of the Nobel Peace Prize recipient Dr. Albert Schweitzer, Dr. Lewis chose to become a physician himself in order to help make the world a better place. His practice merges orthopedic care with patient counseling. Bringing a high level of empathy and intuition to his interactions with patients, he seeks to get to know them personally and to answer all their questions. An avid and nationally ranked tennis player, Dr. Lewis personally understands the issues that are important to an athlete seeking medical treatment. He also is an accomplished photographer who has published three books.
Additional Areas of Expertise
- Arthroscopy of Knee & Shoulder
- Independent Medical Evaluations (IME)
Philosophy of Care
It’s important to focus on the whole patient rather than simply being an excellent technician. I have always loved the practice of medicine and feel honored to take care of patients.
Affiliations and Associations
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 1977
- American College of Surgeons
- Region Committee on Trauma Illinois Orthopaedic Society
- Chicago Orthopaedic Society
- Association of Professional Team Physicians
- American Board of Independent Medical Examiners
University of Texas Southwestern Medical School
Mt. Zion Hospital and Medical Center
Hospital for Joint Disease and Medical Center
Research and Publications
- Lewis, M., Schenker, S., and Combes, B., Studies in Pathogensis of Tetracyline-Induced Fatty Liver. The American Journal of Digestive Diseases. 12:420-438, 1967.
- Schenker, S., McCandless, D.W., Brophy, E., and Lewis, M.S., Studies in the Intracerebral Toxicity of Ammonia. The Journal of Clinical Investigation. 46:838-854, 1967.
- Lewis, M. and Norman, A., Early Roentgenolgic Diagnosis of Post-Operative Hip Infections. Radiology. 10:309-312, 1972.
- Parnass, S. M., Lewis, M.S., McCarthy, R.J., Yohannan, A., Schifrin, D. A Prospective Evaluation of Spinal Versus General Anesthesia for Outpatient Knee Arthroscopy in a Community Hospital. Abstracts of Anesthesiology. 86, S15, 1998
- Dean’s List, Brandeis University, Waltham, MA Vice President of Class, Brandeis University, Waltham, MA
- Scoring within the top 8% of the residents in Orthopaedic Surgery in the country on the Orthopaedic In-Training Examination during each of the four years of residency training.
- Best Teacher Award: Rush North Shore Medical Center
- Fellowship in the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Attending Physician, Illinois Masonic Medical Center, Chicago, IL
- Attending Physician, Rush North Shore Medical Center, Skokie, IL
- Chief of Staff, Rush North Shore Medical Center, Skokie, IL (1999-2001)
- Courtesy Staff, Highland Park Hospital, Highland Park, IL
Visit My Websitehttp://michaelslewismd.com/
Curriculum VitaeSee my Curriculum Vitae [PDF]
See a general list of health plans in which our providers participate.
PLEASE NOTE: While many of IBJI’s providers participate in various plans from Blue Cross Blue Shield, Aetna,Cigna, Humana, United Healthcare and others, IBJI strongly encourages you to contact your specific health plan to ensure your chosen doctor is in-network.