Chicago-Avondale Physician Offices
2923 N California Ave
Chicago, IL 60618
- Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center
- Community First Medical Center
- Presence Saint Joseph Hospital
- Swedish Covenant Hospital
- Weiss Memorial Hospital
BiographyDr. Nathan Wetters is a fellowship-trained physician specializing in Sports Medicine, with special focus on minimally invasive treatment of the knee and shoulder including cartilage transplant and restoration. He is a member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Arthroscopy Association of North America and the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine. Dr. Wetters obtained both his undergraduate degree and Doctor of Medicine from the University of Illinois. He went on to complete his Orthopaedic training at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago before further specializing in Sports Medicine and Shoulder & Elbow surgery at OrthoCarolina in Charlotte, North Carolina. He has served as a Team Physician for both the Carolina Panthers (NFL) and Chicago White Sox (MLB). He has also provided coverage for a number of collegiate teams including UNC-Charlotte, Davidson College, Gardner Webb University. He has special interest in treating injuries of athletes from the youth to professional levels. This includes stem cell injections, ligament reconstruction, cartilage restoration and comprehensive shoulder treatment. Specifically, Dr. Wetters has expertise in rotator cuff repair, shoulder replacement and reverse shoulder replacement.
Additional Areas of Expertise
- Cartilage Restoration
Philosophy of Care
“I dedicate my practice to providing the fastest, smoothest and most comprehensive road to recovery for every one of my patients.”
University of Illinois
Rush University Medical Center
Rush University Medical Center
Sports Medicine/Shoulder & Elbow
Research and Publications
- Saltzman, BM, Griffin JW, Wetters NG, Meyer M, Cole BJ, Yanke AB. Concomitant Arthroscopic Meniscus Allograft Transplantation and Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction. Arthrosc Tech. 2016 Oct 11;5(5):e1161-e1171.
- Manning BT, Frank RM, Wetters NG, Bach BR, Rosenberg AG, Levine BR. Surgical Anatomy of the Knee: A Review of Common Open Approaches. Bull Hosp Jt Dis (2013). 2016 Sep;74(3):219-28.
- Wetters NG, Wuerz, TH, Weber AE, Schub DL, Mandelbaum BR. Mechanism of ACL Injury. Op Tech Sports Med. 2016 Mar 24(1):2-6.
- Bohl DD, Wetters NG, Del Gaizo DJ, Jacobs JJ, Rosenberg AG, Della Valle CJ. Repair of Intraoperative Injury to the Medial Collateral Ligament During Primary Total Knee Arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2016 Jan 6;98(1):35-9.
- Wetters NG, Murray TG, Moric M, Sporer SM, Paprosky WG, Della Valle CJ. Risk factors for dislocation after revision total hip arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2013 Feb;471(2):410-6.
- Wetters NG, Berend KR, Lombardi AV, Morris MJ, Tucker TL, Della Valle CJ. Leukocyte esterase reagent strips for the rapid diagnosis of periprosthetic joint infection. J Arthroplasty. 2012 Sep;27(8 Suppl):8-11.
- Knee Society Chitranjan Ranawat Award, 2013: Should Prophylactic Antibiotics Be Withheld Prior to Revision Hip and Knee Arthroplasty to Obtain Appropriate Cultures
- American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons’ Best Poster Award, 2012: Should Prophylactic Antibiotics Be Withheld Prior to Revision Hip and Knee Arthroplasty to Obtain Appropriate Cultures
- American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons’ James A. Rand Young Investigator Award, 2011: Leukocyte Esterase Reagent Strips for the Rapid Diagnosis of Periprosthetic Joint Infection
See a general list of health plans in which our providers participate.
PLEASE NOTE: While many of IBJI’s providers participate in various plans from Blue Cross Blue Shield, Aetna,Cigna, Humana, United Healthcare and others, IBJI strongly encourages you to contact your specific health plan to ensure your chosen doctor is in-network.
Dr. Wetters - as heard on WGN: "Winter Sports Tips." Released: 2019.
Dr. Wetters - as heard on WGN: Stay tuned for "Winter Sports Tips" Released: 2019.