Gregory Portland, MD
- Evanston Hospital - NorthShore University Health System
- Glenbrook Hospital - NorthShore University Health System
- Presence Saint Francis Hospital
- Ravine Way Surgery Center
Dr. Gregory Portland is a board-certified orthopaedic surgeon with an additional certification in sports medicine. He specializes in arthroscopic shoulder and knee surgery, including repair of dislocated shoulders; injuries to the rotator cuff, shoulder tendons, and knee ligaments; and meniscus (knee disk) tears. Depending on what is medically appropriate, he offers patients the most advanced arthroscopic and open incision surgical techniques.
Dr. Portland sustained injuries while playing college rugby, and the pleasure his doctor took in his work and the physician’s ability to repair the injuries and enable him to return to the same level of competitiveness inspired him to become an orthopaedic surgeon himself.
He sees his first role in providing care as being to educate patients to make sure they understand their condition and their treatment options. He believes well-educated patients are more likely to do what they need to do to help themselves get well.
Dr. Portland is a clinical associate professor at the University of Chicago’s Pritzker School of Medicine. He is the head team physician for Glenbrook North High School and previously has been a team physician for Northwestern University and a medical consultant for Major League Baseball and the National Football League.
Additional Areas of Expertise
Philosophy of Care
The most rewarding thing for me is to run into a patient a year or two later, and they don’t even remember that their shoulder or knee hurt them.
University of Virginia School of Medicine
Northwestern Memorial Hospital
Orthopaedic Sports Surgery
University of Adelaide and Royal Adelaide Hospital
Research and Publications
- “Stiffness, Viscosity, and Upper Limb Inertia About the Glenohumeral Abduction Axis.” L. Zhang, Ph.D.; G. Portland, M.D.; G. Wang, M.S.; C. DiRaimondo, M.D.; G. Nuber, M.D.; M. Bowen, M.D.; and R. Hendrix, M.D. Journal of Orthopaedic Research. 18(1): 94-100, Jan. 2000. “Acute Surgical Management of Jones’ Fractures. Portland G, Kelikian A, and Kodros S.
Foot and Ankle International. 24(11): 829-33, 2003.
- “Injury to the Infrapatellar Branch of the Saphenous Nerve in Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconsturction: Comparison of Horizontal Versus Vertical Harvest Site Incisions.” Portland GH, Martin D, Keene G, and Menz T. Arthroscopy. 21(3): 281-285, 2005.
- Augustine Todd Scholarship winner, Society of the Cincinnati in the State of Virginia
- Magna Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa, Dartmouth College, Hanover, New Hampshire – 1991
- Honors awarded in major for thesis paper, “The Legitimization of the Ch’in Dynasty”
- Gannett Newspaper Carrier Scholarship Winner – 1987
- Senior Clinician Educator, Pritzker School of Medicine, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Chicago, IL; 2012 – Present
- Clinical Instructor, University of Chicago Medicine School, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery 2009 – present
- Clinical Instructor, Pritzker School of Medicine, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Chicago, IL; 2009-2011
- Clinical Instructor, Northwestern University Medical School, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Chicago, Illinois 2001 – 2009
- Team Physician, Northwestern University 2001 – 2009
- Team Physician, Glenbrook North High School 2003 – present
- Orthopaedic Consultant, Chicago Griffins Rugby Club, 2001 – present
Visit My Websitehttp://www.shoulderkneedoc.com/
Curriculum VitaeSee my Curriculum Vitae [PDF]
Getting Back to Normal After Shoulder Surgery: Steve & Evangeline’s Story
Life was never easy especially if you have a congenital shoulder dislocation. My husband went through this multiple times. He needed surgery. We heard about IBJI and it was a tough decision to make who is the right surgeon…read more
Additional Patient Feedback
“Dr. Portland treated me with respect, and dignity, and candor. I very much appreciate his approach to treating patients, and recommend him unconditionally.”
“Love Dr. Portland. He is a great listener has a wonderful patient/medical relationship and is continually not giving up on me, which a lot of other doctors have!!”
See a general list of health plans in which our providers participate.
PLEASE NOTE: While many of IBJI’s providers participate in various plans from Blue Cross Blue Shield, Aetna,Cigna, Humana, United Healthcare and others, IBJI strongly encourages you to contact your specific health plan to ensure your chosen doctor is in-network.
"Dr. Portland Introduction".