Dr. Gregory Portland is a board-certified orthopaedic surgeon with an additional certification in sports medicine. He specializes in arthroscopic shoulder and knee surgery, including repair of dislocated shoulders; injuries to the rotator cuff, shoulder tendons, and knee ligaments; and meniscus (knee disk) tears. Depending on what is medically appropriate, he offers patients the most advanced arthroscopic and open incision surgical techniques.
Dr. Portland sustained injuries while playing college rugby, and the pleasure his doctor took in his work and the physician’s ability to repair the injuries and enable him to return to the same level of competitiveness inspired him to become an orthopaedic surgeon himself.
He sees his first role in providing care as being to educate patients to make sure they understand their condition and their treatment options. He believes well-educated patients are more likely to do what they need to do to help themselves get well.
Dr. Portland is a clinical associate professor at the University of Chicago’s Pritzker School of Medicine. He is the head team physician for Glenbrook North High School and previously has been a team physician for Northwestern University and a medical consultant for Major League Baseball and the National Football League.
Additional Areas of Expertise
- Arthroscopic Surgery
- Shoulder and Knee Surgery
- Independent Medical Evaluations (IME)
Philosophy of Care
The most rewarding thing for me is to run into a patient a year or two later, and they don’t even remember that their shoulder or knee hurt them.
University of Adelaide and Royal Adelaide Hospital
Orthopaedic Sports Surgery
Northwestern Memorial Hospital
University of Virginia School of Medicine
Research and Publications
- “Stiffness, Viscosity, and Upper Limb Inertia About the Glenohumeral Abduction Axis.” L. Zhang, Ph.D.; G. Portland, M.D.; G. Wang, M.S.; C. DiRaimondo, M.D.; G. Nuber, M.D.; M. Bowen, M.D.; and R. Hendrix, M.D. Journal of Orthopaedic Research. 18(1): 94-100, Jan. 2000. “Acute Surgical Management of Jones’ Fractures. Portland G, Kelikian A, and Kodros S.
Foot and Ankle International. 24(11): 829-33, 2003.
- “Injury to the Infrapatellar Branch of the Saphenous Nerve in Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconsturction: Comparison of Horizontal Versus Vertical Harvest Site Incisions.” Portland GH, Martin D, Keene G, and Menz T. Arthroscopy. 21(3): 281-285, 2005.
- Augustine Todd Scholarship winner, Society of the Cincinnati in the State of Virginia
- Magna Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa, Dartmouth College, Hanover, New Hampshire – 1991
- Honors awarded in major for thesis paper, “The Legitimization of the Ch’in Dynasty”
- Gannett Newspaper Carrier Scholarship Winner – 1987
- Senior Clinician Educator, Pritzker School of Medicine, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Chicago, IL; 2012 – Present
- Clinical Instructor, University of Chicago Medicine School, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery 2009 – present
- Clinical Instructor, Pritzker School of Medicine, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Chicago, IL; 2009-2011
- Clinical Instructor, Northwestern University Medical School, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Chicago, Illinois 2001 – 2009
- Team Physician, Northwestern University 2001 – 2009
- Team Physician, Glenbrook North High School 2003 – present
- Orthopaedic Consultant, Chicago Griffins Rugby Club, 2001 – present
Visit My Website
See my Curriculum Vitae
- Aetna EPO, HMO, PPO, POS, NAP
- Aetna Medicare Advantage PPO, HMO
- Aetna Whole Health
- Beech Street/Concentra/Viant PPO and Workers’ Compensation
- Blue Advantage PPO
- Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO, BlueChoice PPO, HMO, HMOI, HMO Advantage, Blue Precision HMO, Medicare Advantage, MMAI Plan (some physicians)
- CareIQ, Rehab for Workers Compensation
- CCN POS
- CCN PPO
- Cigna HMO, PPO, POS
- CorVel PPO, Workers’ Compensation
- Coventry Medicare Advantage PPO, HMO
- Coventry PPO, Workers’ Compensation
- Encompass (surgery network for injured workers)
- First Health PPO
- Healthcare’s Finest Network PPO, Workers’ Compensation
- HealthLink Plans HMO, PPO
- HMO Illinois (some physicians)
- Humana MMAI, HMO, POS, PPO
- Imagine Health/Smart Network (MRI/CT Services, Rehab Services, and some Physicians)
- Longevity Health Medicare Advantage HMO
- MedRisk (Rehab services for injured workers)
- MultiPlan/Private Health Care Systems PPO
- One Call Medical Network (Imaging services for injured workers)
- One Call Care Management (Rehab services for injured workers)
- Orchid Medical (Rehab services for injured workers)
- PPO Next (aka HealthStar PPO, Preferred Health Network PPO)
- Preferred Network Access PPO
- Preferred Plan PPO
- Premier Comp Solutions (imaging services only)
- Sunrise Advantage Medicare Advantage Plan
- Therapy Direct (Rehab services for injured workers)
- Union Health Service
- UnitedHealthcare HMO, Open Access, POS, PPO
IBJI providers are participating providers in the following workers’ compensation Preferred Provider Programs (PPP):
- Healthcare’s Finest Network
- MedRisk (Rehab/Work Comp)
Professional Care for My Knee Pain: Debbie F’s Story
I would like to compliment Dr. Portland and his team for their fine professionalism and care during my recent knee experience…read more
Getting Back to Normal After Shoulder Surgery: Steve & Evangeline’s Story
Life was never easy especially if you have a congenital shoulder dislocation. My husband went through this multiple times. He needed surgery. We heard about IBJI and it was a tough decision to make who is the right surgeon…read more
Want to share your patient story for Dr. Portland? Complete this form.
Additional Patient Feedback
“I could not be more impressed with Dr. Portland’s team. Linda, Molly and Greg are some of the nicest and most professional people that I have ever met. I had shoulder surgery yesterday and every aspect of all of my visits exceeded my expectations. Thank you for putting such an amazing team together.” – Alan D.
“Dr. Portland treated me with respect, and dignity, and candor. I very much appreciate his approach to treating patients, and recommend him unconditionally.”
“Love Dr. Portland. He is a great listener has a wonderful patient/medical relationship and is continually not giving up on me, which a lot of other doctors have!!”
Leave a Google Review for Dr. Portland