Richard Sherman, MD
- Evanston Hospital - NorthShore University Health System
- Glenbrook Hospital - NorthShore University Health System
- Highland Park Hospital - NorthShore University Health System
- Ravine Way Surgery Center
- Skokie Hospital - NorthShore University Health System
Dr. Richard Sherman is a board-certified orthopaedic surgeon who specializes in treating disorders of the knee, hip and shoulder, including sports injuries, trauma and the various forms of arthritis. He offers patients the latest techniques in joint replacement, as well as arthroscopic knee and shoulder surgery, which reduces pain and speeds recovery times.
His father was a pediatrician, and seeing the difference he made in children’s lives and the satisfaction he took from it inspired Dr. Sherman to become a doctor himself. A careful listener, he seeks to understand fully each patient’s medical problem and desired results from treatment. He tries conservative treatments first whenever possible and only proceeds with surgery when it clearly is needed.
He has been the team physician at New Trier High School for 28 years and at Deerfield High School for 15 years. Dr. Sherman also is a clinical assistant professor of orthopaedic surgery at Loyola University Medical Center, training orthopaedic surgery residents.
Dr. Sherman continues his lifelong interest in athletics by skiing and playing tennis and golf. His enjoyment of these activities gives him an added appreciation of the importance of healthy joints.
Additional Areas of Expertise
- Joint Replacement of the Hip, Knee and Shoulder
- Arthroscopic Surgery of Knee, including Ligament Reconstruction and Meniscal Surgery
- Arthroscopic Surgery of Shoulder, including Rotator Cuff Repair and Instability Reconstruction
- Pediatric Orthopedics
Philosophy of Care
My practice philosophy is to give every patient the highest level of personalized care using state of the art techniques and cutting edge knowledge. I treat my patients in the same manner that I would hope to be treated – they have my attention, heart and soul.
Bachelor of Science, Biology
University of Chicago
Loyola University Medical Center
Loyola University Medical Center
Harvard Medical School - Brigham and Women's Hospital and Massachusetts General Hospital
Total Joint Replacement
Harvard Medical School - Brigham and Women's Hospital
- Senior Attending Orthopedic Surgery, Northshore University Healthsystem
- Clinical Assistant Professor: Loyola Medical Center, Maywood IL: 1988-present
- Team Physician: New Trier High School, Winnetka, IL
- Team Physician: Deerfield High School, Deerfield, IL
HPI Allowed Me to Walk Again Without Pain: Mike E’s Story
Since 2016, three sets of initials have made a great positive impact on my physical health and my mental outlook…read more
Played More Than 50 Rounds of Golf After Shoulder Therapy: Ross’s Story
Dr. Sherman determined that I had a 90% tear in my left shoulder. My concern was my golf game…read more
Additional Patient Feedback
“Dr Richard Sherman gives the most personalized and expert orthopedic diagnoses and recommendations for treatment”
“Dr Sherman is one if the best doctors I have seen in my life time and would recommend him to anyone”
See a general list of health plans in which our providers participate.
PLEASE NOTE: While many of IBJI’s providers participate in various plans from Blue Cross Blue Shield, Aetna,Cigna, Humana, United Healthcare and others, IBJI strongly encourages you to contact your specific health plan to ensure your chosen doctor is in-network.
Dr. Sherman on WGN Radio promoting IBJI OrthoAccess