Christian Skjong, MD
- Advocate Lutheran General Hospital
- NorthShore University Health System
- Presence Saint Francis Hospital
- Ravine Way Surgery Center
BiographyDr. Christian Skjong is an orthopedic surgeon who is fellowship trained in hand and upper extremity surgery. Treating adults, adolescents and children, Dr. Skjong sees many patients with sports-related injuries to the hand, wrist, arm or elbow. Among his specialties are microvascular surgery and small joint replacement. He also treats patients with carpel tunnel syndrome and Dupuytren’s Contracture. A native of Minnesota, Dr. Skjong earned his bachelor of arts in biology at Carleton College before moving to Chicago to study at University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine. He completed his residency in orthopedic surgery at University of Chicago Medical Center and his fellowship training in hand and upper extremity surgery at Brown University’s Warren Alpert Medical School in Providence, Rhode Island. A self-described science enthusiast, Dr. Skjong developed an early fascination with how complex extremities such as the human hand function. He is committed to staying current on the latest advances and techniques in hand and upper extremity treatment, working with patients to explore minimally invasive treatment options whenever possible. A guitarist who has treated many musicians during his career, Dr. Skjong has a keen appreciation for the profound importance of restoring form and function for patients who rely heavily on their hands and upper extremities.
Additional Areas of Expertise
- Arthritis of Hand, Wrist & Elbow
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Dupuytren’s Contracture
- Joint Replacement Hand, Wrist & Elbow
- Microvascular Surgery
- Fracture Care
Philosophy of Care
We are surgeons by training, but listening to and understanding what our patients want makes all the difference.
University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine
University of Chicago Medical Center
Hand & Upper Extremity Surgery
- Medical Student Research Fellowship, Orthopaedic Research and Education Foundation (OREF), 2008
- Basic Science Prize, Overall Excellence in Scientific Quality and Content, University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine Summer Research Forum, 2006
- Graduated Summa cum laude, Carleton College, 2005
- Phi Beta Kappa, Carleton College Chapter, 2005
- All-Academic Team, MIAC Varsity Basketball, Carleton College, 2001
See a general list of health plans in which our providers participate.
PLEASE NOTE: While many of IBJI’s providers participate in various plans from Blue Cross Blue Shield, Aetna,Cigna, Humana, United Healthcare and others, IBJI strongly encourages you to contact your specific health plan to ensure your chosen doctor is in-network.
As heard on WBBM Newsradio (780 AM and 105.9 FM) and WSCR 670 AM "The Score." March 2019.