- Advocate Christ Medical Center
- Advocate Lutheran General Hospital
- Alexian Brothers Medical Care
- Gibson Area Hospital
- Skokie Hospital - NorthShore University Health System
- University of Illinois Hospital
Areas of Expertise
Dr. Steven Mardjetko is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon specializing in treating spine conditions, with an emphasis on pediatric spinal deformities, including early onset spinal deformity. He provides the gamut of treatment options for very young children all the way to adults, including advanced techniques not widely available. Because he treats adults as well as children and has been in practice for more than two decades, Dr. Mardjetko is able to understand how a spinal condition will affect a child later in life and to provide treatment that keeps long-term outcomes in mind.
He was drawn to the challenge of pediatric orthopedics. He honed his abilities caring for children with rare conditions for 17 years at Shriners Hospital for Children in Chicago. He frequently teaches his fellow spine surgeons at medical society meetings. He has helped develop techniques for the surgical management of Down Syndrome patients with complex cervical spine conditions.
Dr. Mardjetko currently is conducting research studies examining the effectiveness of spinal stabilization instruments, the use of different spinal fixation techniques during surgery, and the use of current spinal fusion materials.
University of Illinois Medical School
University of Illinois Hospital- Surgery
University of Illinois Hospital- Orthopaedic Surgery
Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke's Medical Center- Spinal Deformity
Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke's Medical Center- Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery
- Mardjetko SM, Harris G. Evaluation of Eight Different Methods of Tendon Suture Used for Tendon Bone Anchorage. Journal of Biomechanics. 1988.
- Asdourian PL, Mardjetko SM, Rauschning W, Johnson H, Hammerberg KW, DeWald RL. An Evaluation of Spinal Deformity in Metastatic Breast Cancer. Journal of Spinal Disorders. 1990;3:119-134.
- Mardjetko SM, Lubicky JP, Kuo KN, Smrcina C. Pseudoaneurysm After Foot Surgery. Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics. 1991;11:657-662.
- Mardjetko SM, Hammerberg KW, Lubicky JP, Fister JS. The Luque Trolley Revisited: Review of Nine Cases Requiring Revision. Spine Journal. 1992;17:682-689.
- Mardjetko SM. Acquired Spondylolisthesis of L4. Spinal Frontiers. 1994;1:6-7.
- Nance DK, Mardjetko SM. Technical Aspects and Nursing Considerations of Limb Lengthening. Orthopaedic Nursing. 1994;13:21-32.
- Mardjetko SM, Connolly P, Shott S. Degenerative Lumber Spondylolisthesis – A Meta Analysis 1970-1993. Spine. October 1994.
- Yuan HA, Dickman CA, Garfin SR, Mardjetko SM. A Historical Cohort Study of Pedicle Screw Fixation in Thoracic Lumber and Sacral Spine Fusions. Spine. October 1994.
- Turker RJ, Mardjetko SM, Lubicky J. Aneurysmal Bone Cysts of the Spine: Excision and Stabilization. Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics. 1998;18:209-213.
- Basobas L, Mardjetko S, Hammerberg K, Lubicky J. Selective Anterior Fusion and Instrumentation for the Treatment of Neuromuscular Scoliosis. Spine. 2003; 28(20S), Supplement 15:S245-S248.
- Assistant Professor: Dept. of Orthopaedic Surgery Rush Medical College, Chicago IL: 1992 – present
- Lecturer, Dept. of Orthopaedic Surgery University of Illinois College of Medicine, Chicago IL 1992 – present
- Assistant Professor: Dept. of Orthopaedic Surgery St. Louis University, St. Louis MO 1990-1992
- Assistant Professor: Westside Veterans Hospital Chicago, IL 1988-1990
- Assistant Professor: Dept. of Orthopaedic Surgery University of Illinois, Chicago IL 1988-1990
- Chief, Section of Spinal Surgery: Division of Orthopaedic Surgery,Cook County Hospital, Chicago IL 1988 – present
- Director, Spine Surgery Service: Dept. of Orthopaedic Surgery,Cardinal Glennon Children’s Hospital, St. Louis MO 1990-1992
- Section Chief: Pedatric Orthopaedics: Division of Orthopaedic Surgery Cook County Hospital, Chicago IL 1994-1999
- Chief of Pediatric Orthopaedics Hope Children’s Hospital, Oak Lawn, IL.
View Dr. Mardjetko's Media
Early Detection is Key in the Treatment of Scoliosis
“Dr. Mardjetko was a terrific doctor. His bedside manner was phenomenal! Highly recommend”
“Dr. Mardjetko and his staff are wonderful. I had to very difficult back surgery three years ago to correct severe scoliosis. The surgery went great and even though it was a tough recovery for me, I truly appreciated the care that Dr. Mardjetko and his staff gave to me along the way!”