- Advocate Good Shepherd Hospital
- Advocate Lutheran General Hospital
- Golf Surgical Center
- Northwest Community Day Surgery Center
- St. Alexius Medical Center
John Lyon, MD is a board-certified orthopaedic surgeon, specializing in reconstructive joint surgery with focus on hip and knee care. Dr. Lyon completed his medical education at University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, and fulfilled his internship and residency program at Northwestern University, McGaw Medical Center. He completed his fellowship training in Adult Reconstructive and Joint Replacement Surgery at Rush University Hospital.
Dr. Lyon has over 20 years of orthopaedic experience and has held positions at prestigious organizations including Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit Michigan and Advocate Lutheran General in Park Ridge, IL. Dr. Lyon is an active member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and the American Academy of Hip and Knee Surgeons.
In addition to his practice, Dr. Lyon is committed to researching and advancing the field of orthopaedics. He has received many awards including the Leonard Marmor Surgical Arthritis Foundation Award for Outstanding Research Contributions in Total Joint Arthroplasty.
Dr. Lyon and his wife have four children who share in his love of sailing.
University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine- Doctor of Medicine
Northwestern University, McGaw Medical Center- General Surgery
Northwestern University, McGaw Medical Center- Orthopaedic Surgery
Rush Medical College- Adult Reconstructive and Joint Replacement Surgery
Affiliations and Associations
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Academy of Hip and Knee Surgeons
- Management of Osteolysis in Total Knee Arthoplasty. John Lyon, M.D., Joshua Jacobs, M.D., Aaron Rosenberg, M.D. Book Chapter, Publication pending, 2003
- Effect of Polymethylmethcrylate Precoating on the Fixation of Roughened Cemented Femoral Component with a Rectangular Geometry. Kirk Aadlen, M.D, John Lyon, M.D., Sohail Houssain, Joshua Jacobs, M.D., Jorge Galante, M.D. Richard Wixson, M.D.
- Poster presentation at American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons 2003 Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA.
- Problems With Cementless Total Knee Arthroplasty at Eleven Years Follow-up. Richard Berger M.D., John Lyon, M.D., Joshua Jacobs, M.D., Ragina Barden, R.N., Erick Berkson, M.D., Aaron Rosenbert, M.D., Jorge Galante, M.D. Presented at AAHKS 2000, Knee Society presentation 2001, AAOS, Published in Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, December 2001.
- The Utility of Follow-up Radiographs in the Management of Pediatric Distal Forearm Torus Fractures. John Lyon, M.D., Jafer Ali, B.A., John J. Grayhack, M.D., John Sarwack, M.D. Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Children’s Memorial Hospital, Chicago, Illinois.
- AAOS Annual Meeting 2001 – podium presentation. Northwestern Orthopaedic Alumni Thesis Day 2000-paper and podium presentation
- Knee Arthroplasty: A Review of Contemporary Designs and Clinical Results. John Lyon, M.D. and Steven Stern, M.D. Review article 1999
- In-Vitro Influence of Surfactant on Cell Membrane Permeability Induced by Gamma Irradiation. John Lyon, B.A. and Raphael C. Lee, M.D., ScD., University of Chicago Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. Abstract in: The University of Chicago Cancer Research Center Scientific Report: 1991-92
- Effect of Constant Tensile Force on Collagenase Activity in Febroblast-Populated Collagen Matrices (Undergraduate Honors Thesis) Raphael C. Lee, M.D., ScD., University of Chicago Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Undergraduate Honors Research Forum-poster presentation 1991
- In-Situ Strain of the Medial Collateral Ligament. Savio L-Y Woo, Ph.D., University of California, San Diego, Department of Biomedical Engineering 1987
- Leonard Marmor Surgical Arthritis Foundation Award for outstanding research contributions in total joint arthroplasty, 2001
- Best fellowship presentation, Rush Orthopaedic Thesis Day, 2001
- General Honors, University of Chicago, 1991
- Honors in Biology, Department of Biological Science, 1991
- Morton-Murphy Award for Outstanding Contribution to Extracurricular Activity, 1991
- Elected to Sigma Xi Scientific Research Society, 1991
- Dean's List, 1988–91
- Division Director of Total Hip Replacement Surgery, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Advocate Lutheran General Hospital, April 2011 – present
- Board Member, Advocate Lutheran General PHO Board, 2011 – 2013
- Surgical Quality Improvement Project Committee, Advocate Good Shepherd Hospital, 2011–Present
- DVT Committee, Advocate Lutheran General Hospital, 2011–Present
- Surgical Case Review Committee, Advocate Good Shepherd Hospital, 2010–Present