- Evanston Hospital - NorthShore University Health System
- Glenbrook Hospital - NorthShore University Health System
- Highland Park Hospital - NorthShore University Health System
- Ravine Way Surgery Center, LLC
- Skokie Hospital - NorthShore University Health System
Areas of Expertise
- Adult and Pediatric Cervical, Thoracic and Lumbar Disorders
- Cervical Disc Replacement and Fusion
- Degenerative Conditions of the Cervical, Thoracic, and Lumbar Spine
- Independent Medical Evaluations (IME)
- Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery
- Mobi-C Cervical Disc Replacements
- Workers’ Compensation
Dr. Jonathan Erulkar is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon who specializes in non-operative and operative management of cervical (neck), thoracic (upper back), and lumbar (lower back) conditions. In providing care, Dr. Erulkar tailors his treatments to the individual patient by correlating and considering medical history, physical examination, diagnostic imaging as well as work/social circumstances. He strives to guide and educate his patients through non-operative treatments as well as considering their surgical options.
He is experienced in performing microdiscectomy, laminectomy, spinal fusion and instrumentation surgeries. In many cases, these can be performed using minimally invasive techniques which can reduce post- operative strain on the patient and minimize recovery times. Dr. Erulkar has performed a series of Mobi-C Cervical Disc Replacements and is happy to offer it as an option to patients.
Dr. Erulkar completed a combined Spine Surgery Fellowship at the New England Baptist Hospital in Boston where he assisted and trained with a leading team of orthopedic spine surgeons and neurosurgeons. This has given him a deeper appreciation for the two disciplines as they relate to spine care.
He is the father of three children and learned of IBJI-Bannockburn through his wife who is a nurse practitioner and was a patient of IBJI-Bannockburn herself when she was a tennis player for Lake Forest High School and Boston College.
I tailor treatments to the individual patient by correlating and considering medical history, physical examination, diagnostic imaging as well as work/social circumstances."Jonathan Erulkar, MD
Yale School of Medicine
Yale New Haven Hospital- Orthopaedic Surgery
New England Baptist Hospital, Boston- Spine Surgery
- Bertagnoli R. Yue JJ. Fenk-Mayer A., Erulkar JS, Emerson JW. Treatment of symptomatic adjacent-segment degeneration after lumbar fusion with total disc arthroplasty by using the prodisc prosthesis: a prospective study with 2-year minimum follow up. Journal of Neurosurgery Spine.2006, 4(2):91-7.
- Erulkar JS, Grauer JN, Patel TCh, Panjabi MM. Kinematic analysis of posterolateral fusions in a New Zealand white rabbit model. Spine, 2001, 26: 1125-1130.
- Patel TCh, Erulkar JS, Grauer JN, Troiano NW, Panjabi MM, Friedlaender GE. OP-1 overcomes the inhibitory effect of nicotine on posterolateral lumbar fusion. Spine, 2001, 26: 1656-1661.Grauer JN, Patel TCh, Erulkar JS, Troiano NW, Panjabi MM, Friedlaender GE. Evaluation of OP-1 as a graft substitute for posterolateral lumbar fusion. Spine, 2001, 26:127-133.
- Grauer JN, Erulkar JS, Patel TCh, Panjabi MM. Biomechanical evaluation of the New Zealand white rabbit lumbar model. Eur Spine J., 2000, 9:250-255.
- Erulkar JS, O’Brien DA, Saunders JC. Hair bundle morphology on surviving hair cells of the chick basilar papilla exposed to intense sound. Scanning Microscopy, 1996; 10: 1127-1142.
- Doan DE, Erulkar JS, Saunders JC. Functional changes in the aging mouse middle ear. Hearing Research, 1996; 97: 174-177.
- Erulkar JS, Kim DH. The management of spine fractures in patients with DISH/AS. In Pediatric and Adult Spine Trauma. Kim DH, Ludwig SC, and Vaccaro AR (eds). (Submitted 11/05)
- Erulkar JS, Grauer JN, Vaccaro AR, Friedlaender GE. Spinal fusion and the role of Bone Grafts and Substitutes. In: Am Acad Orthop Surgeons Monograph on Bone Fusion. Friedlaender GE, Mankin HJ, Goldbeg VM, ed. , AAOS, 2006, 49-55.
- Erulkar JS, Grauer JN. Cervical Approaches. In: Complications of Spine Surgery. An HS, Jenis LA (eds.) Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, 2006., 3-10.
- Altman DA, Gallo RA, Flynn JM,Erulkar JS, Yue JJ. Spinal Trauma Special Considerations: Pediatric Spine Trauma and Ballistic Trauma to the Spine. In: Trauma Orthopedic Knowledge Update III. Baumgaertner MR, Tornetta III, P (eds.) Am. Acad Orthop Surgeons, 2005, 349-361.
- Erulkar JS, Grauer JN, Patel TCh, Friedlaender GE. Experience with OP-1 in Rabbit Model of Lumbar Fusion. In: Advances in Spinal Fusion: molecular science, biomechanics, and clinical management. Lewandrowski KU, Wise FL, Trantolo DJ, Yasemski MJ, White AA, (eds) Marcel Derrek, 2004, 117-133.
- Patel TCh, Grauer JN, Erulkar JS. Evaluation of OP-1 in a Rabbit Model of Lumbar Fusions. In Bone Morphogenetic Proteins: From Laboratory to Clinical Practice. Vukicevic S, Sampath KT ( eds.) 2002, 207-222.
- Grauer JN, Patel TCh, Erulkar JS, Panjabi MM. OP-1 as a bone graft alternative for posterolateral fusion. In: Advances in Skeletal Reconstruction Using Bone Morphogenetic Proteins. Lindholm TS (ed.) World Scientific Publishing Co., 2002, Ch. 26, 439-452.
- Louis H. Nahum Prize for Outstanding Medical Degree ThesisYale University School of Medicine. 2001
- Farr Scholar Award, Yale University School of Medicine. 2000, 2001
- Recipient, Yale University School of Medicine Research Fund. 1999-2000
- Rose Award for Outstanding Undergraduate Research, University of Pennsylvania. 1996
- Highest Departmental Honors for Thesis (Biology), University of Pennsylvania. 1996
- Nassau Undergraduate Research Fund, University of Pennsylvania. 1995-96
- Howard Hughes Research Initiative Immunology Traineeship, University of Pennsylvania. 1994
- Clinical Instructor: Section of Spine Surgery, Department of Orthopaedics, Tufts School of Medicine, New England Baptist Hospital Boston MA 2006-2007
- Clinical Instructor: Department of Orthopaedics and RehabilitationYale School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 2005-2006
- American Academy of Orthopedics
- American Medical Society
- North American Spine Society
- Lake County Medical Society
View Dr. Erulkar's Media
Understanding Herniated Discs