Amy Jo Ptaszek, MD
- Evanston Hospital - NorthShore University Health System
- Glenbrook Hospital - NorthShore University Health System
- Ravine Way Surgery Center
Board-certified orthopedic surgeon Dr. Amy Jo Ptaszek, specializes in treating foot and ankle disorders. As a published research professional with immeasurable knowledge on foot health, particularly regarding the impact of footwear, Dr. Ptaszek brings a wealth of expertise to those she cares for.
Dr. Ptaszek is skilled in arthroscopic surgical techniques that are known to minimize incisions and the amount of tissue that must be cut. When it comes to providing care, Dr. Ptaszek always begins by exploring conservative treatment options before suggesting anything more invasive. She takes the time and effort necessary to make sure she fully understands the expectations of each of her patients. Stressing the importance of patient empowerment, she ensures that each of her patients understands their particular condition, recommended treatment plan, the impact it will play professionally and personally, and the subsequent rehabilitation process that will be required. As well, Dr. Ptaszek emphasizes early rehabilitation to minimize time in a cast or splint.
She is a clinical assistant professor of Orthopaedics at the University of Chicago’s Pritzker School of Medicine. Along with her many accomplishments, Dr. Ptaszek has collaborated with athletic trainers to design a patented soccer cleat for a more structured fit in order to prevent Achilles Tendinopathy.
With a passion for youth sports, she serves as an associate team doctor for high school sports. In addition, Dr. Ptaszek was instrumental in the establishment of a sports center in Glenview that not only features sports fields which are open to the public but also provides education on athletic training and health to the community.
Additional Areas of Expertise
Philosophy of Care
I know what it’s like to be injured and recover. I try to help my patients make the best decision about how to proceed.
Loyola University Stritch School of Medicine
Baylor University Medical Center
Research and Publications
- Ptaszek, AJ, Brodsky, JW, Morris, SG: “Revision 1st MTP Arthrodesis with ICBG” Foot & Ankle International, 1999
- Ptaszek, AJ, “Hallux Varus” in eMedicine.com edited by Behrens, FF: Section of Orthopaedic Surgery, 2001.
- Reddy, V, Fukuda, T, Ptaszek, AJ: “Calcaneus Malunion and Nonunion” Foot and Ankle Clinics Quarterly, March 2007; Vol. 12, No. 1:125-135.
- Ptaszek, AJ: “The Infected Calcaneus” Foot and Ankle Clinics Quarterly, pending 2007
- Ptaszek, AJ: “Talus Fracture and Reconstruction” AAOS/OTA Lecture Series, 2007
- Benson, LS, Ptaszek, AJ: “Injection vs. Surgery in the Treatment of Trigger Finger.” J Hand Surgery 1997; 22A: 138-144.
- Ptaszek, AJ, Brodsky, JW, Morris, SG: “Midfoot Field Block Anesthesia with Monitored IV Sedation in Forefoot Surgery.” Foot & Ankle International, 1999; 20, 9:583-586.
- Thornton, SJ, Cheleuitte, D, Ptaszek, AJ, Early, JS: “Treatment of Open Intra-articular Calcaneal Fractures: Evaluation of a Treatment Protocol Based on Wound Location and Size” Foot and Ankle International, May 2006; Vol. 27, No. 5:317-323.
- Sanders, TG, Ptaszek, AJ, Morrison, WB: “Fracture of the Lateral Process of the Talus: Appearance at MR Imaging and Clinical Significance.” Skeletal Radiology, 1999.
- Ptaszek, AJ: Case Report: “Primary Tibiocalcaneal Arthrodesis with Interposition Fibular Strut Autograft for Comminuted Talus Fracture.” J Orthopaedic Trauma, 1999; Vol. 13, No. 8:589-592.
- Ptaszek, AJ, Aminian, A, Schneider, JS, Milos, S: “Lateral Plantar Artery Pseudoaneurysm After Calcaneal Osteotomy: A Case Report” Foot and Ankle International, Feb. 2006; Vol. 27, No. 2:141-143. Amy Jo Ptaszek, MD 5
- Ptaszek, AJ: “Talus Fracture and Reconstruction” In OKU (Orthopedic Knowledge Update 4) Edited by or Dr. Michael Pinzur 2008
- Ptaszek, AJ: “Sports Related Foot and Ankle Injuries in Women” AAOS Monograph series, 2008
- Ptaszek, AJ: “Foot & Anke Disorders” In Miller’s Review of Orthopedics Edited By Dr Mark Miller 2000
- NorthShore University Health System, Senior Attending Staff, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Senior Clinician Educator University of Chicago, Pritzker School of Medicine; 2012-Present
- Clinical Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery, Northwestern University Medical School-Chicago, IL 2003-2009
- Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery, Foot & Ankle Service: University of Texas Southwestern Medical School – Dallas, TX, 2000-2002
- Chief, Foot and Ankle Service: Department of Orthopaedic Surgery US Air Force/Wilford Hall Medical Center – Lackland Air Force Base, TX, 1997-2000
- Assistant Professor of Surgery: Uniformed Services, University of the Health Sciences – Bethesda, MD, 1998-200
- Instructor, AOFAS Comprehensive Foot and Ankle Care Courses, 2004
- Instructor, UTSW Orthopaedic Review Courses, 2002
Curriculum VitaeSee my Curriculum Vitae [PDF]
See a general list of health plans in which our providers participate.
PLEASE NOTE: While many of IBJI’s providers participate in various plans from Blue Cross Blue Shield, Aetna,Cigna, Humana, United Healthcare and others, IBJI strongly encourages you to contact your specific health plan to ensure your chosen doctor is in-network.
"Dr. Ptaszek Intro".
Listen to Dr. Ptaszek on The Sports Doctor Radio Podcast as she discusses the importance of Foot and Ankle strengthening as part of a proper training routine.
Read this blogger’s review of Trooz Cleats — Dr. Ptaszek was a collaborator on this new soccer cleat designed specifically for women.