- Ascension Saint Mary – Kankakee
- Center for Minimally Invasive Surgery
- OAK Surgery Center
- Silver Cross Surgery Center
Specializing in treatment of the shoulder, hip and knee. Special focus and experience in advanced, minimally invasive techniques including hip arthroscopy, and robotically assisted surgery. Most common injuries treated: ACL and meniscus tears, hip labrum tears, FAI (hip impingement), shoulder rotator cuff and labrum tears, as well as shoulder and knee arthritis. Dr. Antkowiak's patient care goals are simple: to provide every patient with the highest level of care and compassion possible, just as he would desire for his family and for himself. He has a particular interest in minimally invasive arthroscopic techniques. He sub specializes in several areas, including advanced shoulder arthroscopy, knee ligament/cartilage reconstruction, and hip arthroscopy. Dr. Antkowiak performs the innovative, robotically assisted partial knee replacement. He has co-authored recent articles on topics including hip arthroscopy, ACL reconstruction, and orthopedic trauma. Dr. Antkowiak is a respected and sought-after speaker, he is involved in surgeon education and product development for some of the world’s largest orthopedic manufacturers. He also serves as team physician to several high school and college programs and has cared for numerous professional athletes.
Dr. Antkowiak is an experienced, board-certified orthopedic surgeon who specializes in sports medicine and arthroscopy. Often referred to as “Dr. A,” he prides himself on exceptional patient care and surrounds himself with a team that is warm, caring, and compassionate. Dr. A brings his exceptional sports medicine and orthopedic surgical skills to OAK after having completed a sports medicine fellowship at the prestigious Southern California Orthopedic Institute in 2013. Prior to his fellowship, Dr. Antkowiak graduated cum laude from Albany Medical College in Albany, New York, and was inducted as a member of the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society. This was followed by his residency in orthopedic surgery at the University of California, Davis Medical Center (UCDMC), an institution renowned for outstanding orthopedic care and training. During his time at UCDMC, Dr. Antkowiak was honored to be selected co-chief resident and received the outstanding achievement award for Top Resident in Orthopaedic Trauma.
Dr. Antkowiak’s knowledge and extensive training, coupled with his engaging style and dedication, will be apparent upon one's first meeting. His passion for sports medicine is further strengthened by his own experience as a Division I collegiate athlete at McGill University, where he served as team captain of the men's volleyball team. Dr. Antkowiak enjoys spending time with his wife and three young boys, and when additional time permits, playing golf or skiing. Dr. Antkowiak is fluent in Polish and conversant in French.
Albany Medical College, Albany, NY
University of California, Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA- Surgery Internship
University of California, Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA- Orthopedic Surgery
Southern California Orthopedic Institute, Van Nuys, CA- Sports Medicine and Arthroscopy
Affiliations and Associations
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Fellow
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- Arthroscopy Association of North America
- Illinois State Medical Society
- Lincoln-Way West High School
- Lincoln-Way Central High School
- Lincoln-Way East High School
- Olivet Nazarene University
- Antkowiak T, Ferkel R, Sullivan M, Kreulen C, Giza E, Whitlow S. (2014) Rehabilitation After Cartilage Reconstruction. Chapter 16. Talar Osteochondral Defects.
- Amanatullah D, Antkowiak T, Pillay K, Refaat M, Patel J, and Jamali A. (2012) Femoroacetabular Impingement: Current Concepts in Diagnosis, Part I. American Journal of Orthopedics.
- Amanatullah D, Antkowiak T, Pillay K, Refaat M, Patel J, and Jamali A. (2012) Femoroacetabular Impingement: Current Concepts in Treatment, Part II. American Journal of Orthopedics.
- Antkowiak T, Polage C, Wiedeman J, Meehan J, Jamali A. (2011) Chondrolysis of the tibial plateau caused by articular aspergillosis after ACL autograft reconstruction managed with a fresh osteochondral allograft. A Case Report. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. 93:e124, p 1-6.
- Calafi L, Antkowiak T, Curtiss S, Neu C, Moehring D. (2010) A biomechanical comparison of the surgical implant generation network (SIGN) tibial nail with the standard hollow nail. Injury.41:7, p 753-757.
- Javed A, Barnes G, Pratap J, Antkowiak T, Gerstenfeld L, van Wijnen A, Stein J, Lian J, Stein G. (2005) Impaired intranuclear trafficking of runx2 (AML3/CBFA1) transcription factors in breast cancer cells inhibits osteolysis in vivo. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science. 102:5, p 1454-1459.
- Antkowiak T and Chase R. (2003) Sensory innervation in the snail Helix aspersa. The Journalof Experimental Biology. 206, p 3913-3921.
Posters and Presentations:
- Antkowiak T, Guanche C, Altbuch T. (2014) Fascia Iliaca Compartment Block For Hip Arthroscopy: A Double Blind, Randomized, Controlled Trial. Paper #8 - ISHA Annual Scientific Meeting 2014
- Antkowiak T, Carlson M, Larsen N, Applegate G, Ferkel R. (2014) Arthroscopic Treatment of Osteochondral Lesions of the Talus in Children: A Minimum Two-year follow up. American Academy of Orthopedics Surgery. Podium Presentation.
- Antkowiak T, Jamali A. (2012) Acetabular Labral Tears and cartilage injury; Assessing the diagnostic accuracy of pre operative MRI. Presentation; University of California Davis Research Symposium
- Snow KD; Klineberg EO; Haudenschild DR; Christiansen BA, Antkowiak T; Acharya C; Maitra S; Gupta (2012) The effect of noggin interference in a rabbit posterolateral spinal fusion model. Presentation. Orthopaedic Research Society.
- Antkowiak T, Moehring D, Calafi L, Neu C. (2009) Biomechanical evaluation of the surgical implant generation network (SIGN) intramedullary tibial nail. Orthopaedic Research Society. Poster Session 13 Fracture # 838.
- Antkowiak T (2015) Partial Knee replacement: Minimally invasive approach, navigation, robotic assistance. Riverside Medical Center presentation.
- Antkowiak T (2015) Treatment of hip pain: FAI, labral tears and osteoarthritis. Community lecture; Riverside Medical Center.
- Antkowiak T (2015) Outpatient total hip replacement: the minimally invasive anterior approach. Silver Cross Hospital lecture.
- Antkowiak T (2014) Treatment of cartilage injury in the athlete; current concepts review. ATI Sports Medicine Symposium.
- Antkowiak T (2014) Shoulder instability; evaluation and treatment of recurrent shoulder dislocations. ATI Sports Medicine Summit.
- Antkowiak T (2014) Hip preservation: Minimally invasive arthroscopic surgery for the treatment of hip pain. Riverside Medical Center community lecture.
- Antkowiak T. (2013) Treatment of Cartilage Lesions in the Knee; A review. Southern California Orthopedic Institute Symposium.
- Antkowiak T, (2013) Hip Arthroscopy for the treatment of femoral acetabular impingement and acetabular labral tears. Silver Cross Hospital presentation.
- Antkowiak T, (2013) Evaluation of the painful hip. Diagnosis and management of femoral acetabular impingement. Riverside Medical Center presentation.
- Antkowiak T, (2013) Minimally invasive surgery of the knee. Arthroscopy, cartilage restoration and partial knee replacement. Presence Healthcare presentation.
- Antkowiak T, (2013) Shoulder Arthroscopy and the treatment of Rotator Cuff tears. ATI Symposium for athletic trainers and therapists.
- Antkowiak T, (2013) Advances in arthroscopic surgery of the shoulder, hip and knee. Athletico Symposium for athletic trainers and therapists. Orthopedic Courses: Faculty Appointments
- Antkowiak T (2015) Treatment of Anterior Cruciate Ligament injury in althetes. OAK Orthopedics publication.
- Antkowiak T (2015) Hip replacement using the minimally invasive anterior approach. OAK Orthopedics publication.
- Antkowiak T (2013) Hip Pain - Can We Prevent the Early Onset of Hip Arthritis? OAK Orthopedics publication.
- 2016 Outstanding Patient Satisfaction; Silver Cross Hospital
- 2012 Reno Trauma Award Outstanding Resident in Orthopedic Trauma
- 2012 Chief Resident in Orthopedic Surgery
- 2011 Emerging Leader, American Orthopedic Association
- 2007 Cum Laude, Albany Medical College
- 2006 Alpha Omega Alpha, Medical Honors Society
- 2005, 2006 Class of 1955 Merit Scholarship, Academic achievement, Albany Medical College
- 2005, 2006 Joseph Collins Merit Scholarship, Academic and extracurricular achievement, Albany Medical College
- 2014 Arthroscopy Association of North America Masters Course: Hip Arthroscopy. Associate master instructor.
- 2013 Southern California Orthopedic Institute, Napa Valley Course; Hip Arthroscopy lab; assistant instructor
- 2013 Southern California Orthopedic Institute, Napa Valley Course; Shoulder Arthroscopy lab; assistant instructor