- Advocate Lutheran General Hospital
- Evanston Hospital - NorthShore University Health System
- Glenbrook Hospital - NorthShore University Health System
- Illinois Sports Medicine & Orthopedic Surgery Center
Areas of Expertise
- Hip and Knee Care
- Hip Replacement
- Knee Replacement
- Revision Surgery
- MAKO Robotic Surgery System Assisted Partial Knee Replacement
- Independent Medical Evaluations (IME)
Dr. Michael O’Rourke is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon who specializes in hip and knee replacements. He also provides other forms of hip and knee care. He has extensive experience in revision surgery (correcting an unsuccessful prior joint replacement). Dr. O’Rourke offers patients partial knee replacements using the MAKO robotic surgery system, which increases the accuracy of the joint replacement. His love of the sciences and working with his hands led Dr. O’Rourke to become a physician. He chose to specialize in orthopedics because it makes use of his natural mechanical ability and gives him opportunities to make a quick, tangible improvement in patients’ lives.
He brings humility and genuine concern to the care of his patients. He takes time to know them and communicates honestly with them about what they can expect from their treatment. His goal is to return patients to their previous level of activity as quickly as possible. He is dedicated to technical excellence as a surgeon in order to perform joint replacements that will work well and last a long time. His experience performing revision surgery gives Dr. O’Rourke great insight into how joint replacements go awry and how to avoid these problems himself.
Being able to see a patient go from true disability to normal or near normal function after joint replacement never gets old."Michael O'Rourke, MD
Loyola University Stritch School of Medicine
University of Iowa- Orthopaedic Surgery
Rush University Medical Center- Adult Reconstruction
AOA Leadership Series
Northwestern University Kellogg School of Management
- O’Rourke MR Shi X, Gisolfi C, and Schedl H: Effect of absorption of D-glucose and water on paracellular transport in the rat duodenum-jejunum. American Journal of Medical Science 309(3): 146-151, 1995.
- O’Rourke MR,and Grobler LJ: L4-L5 degenerative spondylolisthesis-indications and technique for operative management. Iowa Orthopaedic Journal 14: 76-86, 1998.
- O’Rourke MR, Marsh JL, Steyers C, Bottlang M, Madey S, and Brown T: Articulated elbow external fixation- determinants for optimal hinge alignment. Atlas of the Hand Clinics 5(1): 173-190, 2000.
- Bottlang M, O’Rourke MR, Madey SM, Steyers CM, Marsh JL, and Brown TD: Radiographic determinants of the elbow rotation axis: Experimental identification and quantitative validation. J Orthop Res; 18(5): 821-8, 2000.
- Von Knoch F, Marsh JL, Steyers C, McKinley TO, O’Rourke MR, Bottlang M. A new articulated elbow external fixation technique for difficult elbow trauma. Iowa Orthopaedic Journal 21: 13-19, 2001.
- O’Rourke MR, Callaghan JJ, Goetz DD, Sullivan PM, Johnston RC: Osteolysis in a cemented modular posterior cruciate substituting total knee design-five to eight year follow-up. J. Bone Joint Surg. Am 84(8): 1362-1371, 2002.
- Callaghan JJ, O’Rourke MR: Picking your implant-all PS knees are not alike! Orthopedics 25(9): 977-978, 2002.
- Callaghan JJ, O’Rourke MR, Schmalzried TP, Campbell PA, Johnston RC: Tibial post impingement in posterior-stabilized total knee arthroplasty. Clin. Ortho. Rel. Res. 404: 83-88, 2002.
- O’Rourke MR, Weinstein SL: Avascular necrosis following isolated greater trochanter fractures in children – a report of two cases. J. Bone Joint Surg. Am. 85: 2000 – 2005, 2003.
- O’Rourke MR, Paprosky W, Rosenberg AG: Use of structural allografts in acetabular revision surgery. Clin. Ortho. Rel. Res. 420:113-121, 2004.
- Callaghan JJ, O’Rourke MR, Saleh KJ: Why knees fail: Lessons learned. J. Arthroplasty 19: 31-34, 2004.
- Callaghan JJ, Savory CG, O’Rourke MR, Johnston RC: Are all cementless acetabular components created equal? J. Arthroplasty 19: 95-98, 2004.
- O’Rourke MR, Rosenquist RW: Applying the ASRA Guidelines to the Use of Low-molecular-weight Heparin Thromboprophylaxis in Major Orthopedic Surgery. J. Arthroplasty 19: 1-5, 2004
- Sporer SM, O’Rourke MR,Chong P, Paprosky WG: The Use of Structural Distal Femoral Allografts for Acetabular Reconstruction. Average Ten-Year Follow-Up. J. Bone Joint Surgery Am. 87: 760-765, 2005.
- Callaghan JJ, O’Rourke MR. Avoiding Dislocation: But When It Happens! Orthopedics 27 (9): 957-958, 2004.
- 2009 – present: Clinical Assistant Professor, Orthopaedic Surgery Division of Biologic Sciences, Pritzker School of Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL
- 2007 – 2009: Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL
- 2003 – 2007: Assistant Professor, Department Of Orthopaedics & Rehabilitation, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
View Dr. O'Rourke's Media
Dr. Michael O'Rourke on Total Joint Replacement
Dr. O'Rourke Intro
Personal and Informative Care: Dr. O’Rourke Review
“I have been seeing Dr. O’Rourke for over four years. He is a wonderful educator and listens to my questions…” read more
“Dr. O’Rourke took the time to explain my diagnosis and options. He was an excellent listener and communicator.”
“Dr. O’Rourke always makes me feel like I’m his most important patient!”