Degenerative Joint Disease, or Osteoarthritis, can develop slowly and worsen over time until routine activities aren’t easily feasible. This disease commonly affects the knees, hips, lower back, along with smaller joints in the fingers and toes. Pain and swelling ensues when the protective layer of cartilage breaks down and bones begin to rub against one another. This constant rubbing can eventually lead to other conditions as osteoarthritis symptoms worsen. A bone spur, or a bony projection that develops along the edges of the bone, can also form and are commonly associated as a side effect of osteoarthritis. Contact a local IBJI location near you to get treatment for osteoarthritis to discuss your options with our experienced rheumatologists.
Osteoarthritis Treatment with Experts at IBJI
IBJI rheumatologists treat all patients with mild to severe arthritis. Specialized care is given to the individual corresponding with their osteoarthritic severity. A patient at any stage of osteoarthritis requires different treatment from the next. The Illinois Bone and Joint Institute has treated osteoarthritic symptoms to over 44,000 patients every year. The correct treatment makes all the difference. Trust IBJI’s medical expertise to relieve your osteoarthritis today.
Stages of Osteoarthritis:
Osteoarthritis contains 4 stages of severity.
- Stage 1: Minor bone spur growth with no pain or cartilage loss.
- Stage 2: More bone spur growth with minor cartilage loss but minor stiffness and tenderness in joints.
- Stage 3: Cartilage has obvious damage with frequent pain and joint swelling.
- Stage 4: Severe pain in the joint when walking or moving with little to no cartilage.
- Pain during or after movement
- Grafting or popping in the joint as it moves
- Stiffness or weakness around the joint
- Pain that worsens in humid weather
- Swelling or tenderness in the affected area
- Loss of flexibility
- Growth of bone spurs
- Pain from sudden movement or activity
- Therapy and Rehabilitation
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Surgery
- Medication Assistance