Dr. Djuro Petkovic is a board-eligible orthopedic surgeon, fellowship-trained in Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, and Sports Medicine. In his practice he addresses primary and revision shoulder arthroplasty including the reverse shoulder arthroplasty, a relatively new procedure that is useful in cases of irreparable rotator cuff tears, severe deformity, and fracture.
He also specializes in shoulder arthroscopy, rotator cuff disease, shoulder instability, elbow pathology and knee injuries. “Every patient in my clinic is an active participant in their health, and with their input I create a customized treatment plan for their musculoskeletal problem,” he notes.
Having grown up in the Chicago area, Dr. Petkovic did not always know he was going to be a physician. He went to the east coast where he completed his undergraduate degree at Dartmouth College in Economics. However, experiences with sports injuries as well as a growing interest in the sciences led him to pursue pre-Medical courses at Northwestern University, and he then obtained his Doctor of Medicine at the University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine. He moved west to serve both his Internship and Residency at Loma Linda University Medical Center in California, and even spent time treating limb deformities in Port-au-Prince, Haiti.
While in residency, he became fascinated with the complexity of shoulder and elbow surgery, which is one of the most rapidly evolving fields in orthopedics. He chose to pursue a Fellowship at the renowned Center for Shoulder, Elbow and Sports Medicine/Columbia-New York Presbyterian Medical Center in New York, New York. This allowed him to combine training in shoulder and elbow surgery at the first fellowship of its kind, while also gaining expertise treating high level athletes including the New York Yankees, the NYCFC pro soccer team, Columbia University varsity athletics, the Rockland Boulders minor league baseball team, and other teams in the area.
Additional Areas of Expertise
- Elbow Pain & Injuries
- Shoulder Pain & Injuries
- Shoulder Replacement
- Joint Reconstructive Surgery
Philosophy of Care
In providing care, Dr. Petkovic focuses on a patient centered approach. This involves not only directing appropriate non-operative care when indicated, but also recognizing when the right invasive procedure is needed.
“Every patient has different needs, and every problem has unique characteristics,” he says. “The same injury in an 18-year old athlete does not get the same treatment in an 80 year old grandmother. My job is to educate and discuss with the patient how we can responsibly get them back to their desired activity level.”
What Patients Should Know About Me
Dr. Petkovic has provided Team Coverage for a number of athletic organizations, most recently the New York Yankees.
Affiliations and Associations
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS), Member
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM), Candidate Member
Center for Shoulder, Elbow and Sports Medicine/Columbia-New York Presbyterian Medical Center
Loma Linda University Medical Center
Loma Linda University Medical Center
University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine
Research and Publications
Peer Reviewed Articles:
- Petkovic D, Kovacevic D, Levine MN, Jobin CM: “Management of the Failed Arthroplasty for Proximal Humerus Fractures.” Journal of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons. Accepted, awaiting publication
- Shiu B, Petkovic D, Levine WN, Ahmad CS: “Maximizing Surgical Skills During Fellowship Training.” Journal of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons 2017; 25: 421-6. doi:10.5435/JAAOS-D-17-00244
- Petkovic D, Wongworawat MD, Anderson SR. “Factors Affecting Appropriateness of Interfacility Transfer for Hand Injuries.” HAND. 2016 Oct 28: 1-6. doi:10.1177/1558944716675147.
- Shenaq DS, Rastegar F, Petkovic D, Zhang BQ, He B-C, Chen L, Zuo Guo-Wei, Luo Q, Shi Q, Wagner ER, Huang E, Gao Y, Gao J-L, Kim SH, Yang K, Bi Y, Su Y, Zhu G, Luo J, Luo X, Qin J, Reid R, Luu H: “Mesenchymal Progenitor Cells and Their Orthopaedic Applications: Forging a Path towards Clinical Trials.” Stem Cells International, 2010: 1-14. doi:10.4061/2010/519028
- Petkovic D, Shiu B, Ahmad CS: Epicondylitis and Baseball Players. Baseball Sports Medicine, 1st Ed. Romeo AA and Ahmad CS (Eds). Awaiting publication
- Petkovic D, Alexander FA, Ahmad CS: Arthroscopic Treatment of Valgus Extension Overload. Tips and Tricks in Sports Medicine, 1st Ed. Azar FM (Ed). Awaiting publication
- Jobe CJ, Phipatanakul WP, Petkovic D: Gross Anatomy of the Shoulder IN The Shoulder, 5th Ed. Rockwood Jr CA, Matsen III FA, Wirth MA, Lippitt SB (Eds). Elsevier Health Sciences. 2016.
- Le T, Feinstein JA, Fuller S, Petkovic D, et al. USMLERx Step 1 Qmax, 2011 edition. Published by MedIQ Learning, LLC. Available at: https://www.usmlerx.com
Scientific Presentations (National):
- Petkovic D, Trofa DP, Shiu B, Munoz JM, Villacis DC, Lambert J, Paulino F, Jobin CM, Levine WN, Ahmad CS. Are Drains Necessary After Shoulder Arthroplasty?: A Prospective Randomized Controlled Trial. West Point Fellows’ Sports Medicine Conference. West Point Academy, West Point, NY – June 8, 2017
- Lewis MK, Petkovic D, Jobe CM, Phipatanakul WP. Radiographic and Clinical Outcomes of Proximal Humerus Fracture Treated with Cementless Reverse Shoulder Arthroplasty. OREF-ORS 18th Annual Southwest Region Resident Research Symposium. University of California, Naval Medical Center, San Diego, CA – September 21, 2016
- Petkovic D, Nelson SC. A Novel Technique for Hip Arthrodesis. International Limb Lengthening and Reconstruction Society Annual Meeting. Miami, FL – November 7, 2015
- Petkovic D, Anderson SR, Wongworawat MD. Factors Affecting Appropriateness of Inter-Facility Transfer for Hand Injuries. Western Orthopaedic Association Annual Meeting. Coeur d’Alene, ID – August 1, 2015
- Chasnoff IJ, Wells A, Bailey GF, Telford E, Petkovic D. Biological Markers in Substance-Exposed Infants: Relationship to Neurodevelopmental Functioning. Putting the Pieces Together for Children and Families: The National Conference on Substance Abuse, Child Welfare, and the Courts. Anaheim, CA – February 1, 2007
Scientific Presentations (Local)
- Petkovic D, Mehta MP, Saulle MF, DeAllie CK, Vance DD, Ciccone JL, Ahmad CS. Off-Speed Control: Can a Radar Gun Improve Rehab for the Throwing Athlete? Columbia University Medical Center. New York, NY – July 13, 2017
- Petkovic D, Mildren ME, Scott JC, Jobe CM, Phipatanakul WP. The Detrimental Effect of Shoulder Immobilization on Driving: A Mechanical Study. Loma Linda University Department of Orthopaedic Surgery Research Seminar. Loma Linda, CA – June 3, 2016
- Petkovic D, Wongworawat MD. Factors Affecting Appropriateness of Inter-Facility Transfer for Hand Injuries. Loma Linda University Department of Orthopaedic Surgery Research Seminar. Loma Linda, CA – May 8, 2015
- Petkovic D, Nelson SC A Novel Technique for Hip Arthrodesis. Loma Linda University Department of Orthopaedic Surgery Research Seminar. Loma Linda, CA – May 8, 2015
- Petkovic D, He TC. Characterization of Potential Type I Receptors of BMP9 Signaling in Mesenchymal Stem Cells. The University of Chicago Summer Research Forum. Chicago, IL – August 25, 2008
Grand Rounds Presentations:
- Hand Fractures. Loma Linda University Medical Center. Loma Linda, CA – March 19, 2014
- Femoral Shaft Fractures. Loma Linda University Medical Center. Loma Linda, CA – February 12, 2014
- Critical-Size Bone Defects and the Masquelet Technique. UCSF. San Francisco, CA – November 10, 2011
- Distal Radius Fractures. Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center. Lebanon, NH – September 21, 2010
- Petkovic D, DeAllie CK, Ahmad CS. Massive Rotator Cuff Repair With Subscapularis Repair. Vumedi Video. February 2017.
- Petkovic D, Wright ML, Ahmad CS. Calcific Tendonitis of the Rotator Cuff – Debridement and Repair. Vumedi Video. June 2017.
- Petkovic D, Baranek ES, Goldberg SS, Levine WN. Total Shoulder Arthroplasty. Vumedi Video. August 2017.
- Petkovic D, Shirley MB, Jobin CM. Open Capsular Shift. Submitted to AAOS Orthopedic Video Theater.
- Alpha Omega Alpha Society
- Resident Leadership Forum Representative, American Orthopaedic Assoc. Annual Mtg, 2016
- First Place Resident Research Award, Loma Linda Univ. Research Seminar, 2015
- Chi Epsilon Honor Society
- Dean’s List
- Magna Cum Luade
Curriculum Vitae See my Curriculum Vitae