Dr. Ritesh Shah is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon who specializes in treating hip and knee disorders.
He offers advanced treatments including minimally invasive muscle sparing total hip replacements and hip resurfacing, hip arthroscopy for labrum repairs, minimally invasive customized patient specific total knee replacement, partial knee replacement and knee arthroscopy. As well, he performs revision hip and knee replacements.
Dr. Shah enjoys treating active athletic patients and helping them return to their high level of activity using novel, cutting edge surgical techniques. He provides the continuum of care for the hip and knee from minimally invasive arthroscopic procedures to complex revision procedures. He has written numerous orthopedic research articles and book chapters and has published surgical and video techniques for technologically advanced preservation and reconstruction procedures.
A strong believer in evidence-based medicine, Dr. Shah makes certain that everything he does for a patient is validated by the most current clinical outcomes data available.
Additional Areas of Expertise
- Hip Osteotomies
- Hip Impingement & Femoroacetabular Impingement Treatment
- Labral Tears
- Hip Dysplasia
- Hip Resurfacing
- Perthes Deformities
- Avascular Necrosis
- Hip & Femur Fractures
- Arthroscopic Surgery
- Independent Medical Evaluations (IME)
Philosophy of Care
I believe in providing empathetic, innovative, timely, and exemplary care to all my patients. My philosophy is that each person is an individual and should have treatment catered to his or her particular needs. With contemporary training in hip and knee disorders in adults and young adults, I believe in educating the patient and their family on their natural disease process, alternatives in treatment options, and expected outcomes of surgical and non-surgical treatment to allow patients to make better-educated decisions. Most importantly, I pride myself in working with a specialized support team to effectively diagnose and treat all patients to ensure complete patient satisfaction and return to activity and function.
Joint Preservation, Resurfacing and Reconstruction
University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine
Research and Publications
- Shah, R. R., Cipparrone, N. E., Parilla, F. W., Robinson, M. G., Gordon, A. C., & Goldstein, W. M. (2019). Survivorship of the Modular Femoral Revision Stem. Orthopedics, 42(5), 294–298. doi: 10.3928/01477447-20190604-09
- Shah, Ritesh R. et al. Is it safe? Outpatient Total Joint Arthroplasty with Discharge to Home at a Freestanding Ambulatory Surgical Center. Journal of Arthroplasty, 2018.
- Ritesh R. Shah, Varsha Gobin, and Jeffrey M. Muir, “Imageless Navigation Improves Intraoperative Monitoring of Leg Length Changes during Total Hip Arthroplasty for Legg-Calve-Perthes Disease: Two Case Reports,” Case Reports in Orthopedics, vol. 2018, Article ID 4362367, 4 pages, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/4362367.
- Stulberg SD, Yaffe MA, Shah RR, Gall-Sims S, Palmese N. Columbus Primary Total Knee Replacement: A 2-4 Year Follow up. The Use of Intraoperative Navigation Derived Data to Predict Postoperative Function. ORTHOPEDICS. 2008
- Shah RR, Jain N, Sarwark JF. Kyphectomy in Myelomeningocele. The Growing Spine: Management of Spinal Disorders in the Young Child. Chapter 26. Editors: Behrooz, Muharrem, Thompson Springer ed.. 2011
- Shah RR, Barrack RL. Total Hip Arthroplasty in a Patient with Myelomeningocele: A Case Report. Journal of Arthroplasty. 2012.
- Shah, RR, Nunley RM. Management of Articular Cartilage and Ligamentum Teres Disorders in the Adult Hip. Book Chapter accepted and Awaiting Publication for The Adult Hip Volume 3.
- Shah RR, Clohisy JC. Cases From the Adolescent Hip Pain Clinic. Femoroacetabular Impingement Instructional Video. The Adult Hip 4. DVD instructional video for American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeon Instructional Video Series. 2012.
- Shah RR, Clohisy JC. Preoperative Evaluation of a Patient with Femoroacetabular Impingement. Femoroacetabular Impingement Monograph Series for American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Accepted and Awaiting Publication. 2013.
- Shah RR, Patel R, Puri L. Computer Assisted Total Knee Arthroplasty for Significant Tibial Deformities. Journal of Arthroplasty, 2013.
- Shah RR, Wetzel R, Puri L. Demonstration of Saw Blade Accuracy and Excursion: A Cadaveric Comparison Study of Blade Types Used in Total Knee Arthroplasty. Journal of Arthroplasty. 2013.
- Healio Orthopedics Blue Ribbon Award for “Aspirin Alone Is Not Enough to Prevent Deep Venous Thrombosis After Total Joint Arthroplasty.” February 2019.
- M.D. with Honors, University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, 2005
- University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine Scholarship, University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, 2001-2005
- Loyola University Chicago Damen Scholarship, Loyola University Chicago, 1997-1998
- Loyola University Chicago Presidential Scholarship, Loyola University Chicago, 1998-2001
- Alpha Sigma Nu Jesuit Honors Society, Loyola University Chicago, 2000-2001
- Magna Cum Laude with Honors in Biochemistry, Loyola University Chicago, 2001
- Magna Cum Laude with Honors in Economics, Loyola University, Chicago, 2001
- Assistant Clinical Professor of Orthopaedics, University of Illinois, Chicago, Illinois, 2011-Present
- Clinical Instructor, Washington University, St. Louis, Missouri, 2010-2011
Visit My Website https://rapidrecoveryreality.com/
Curriculum Vitae See my Curriculum Vitae
- Aetna EPO, HMO, PPO, POS, NAP
- Aetna Medicare Advantage PPO, HMO
- Aetna Whole Health
- Beech Street/Concentra/Viant PPO and Workers’ Compensation
- Blue Advantage PPO
- Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO, BlueChoice PPO, HMO, HMOI, HMO Advantage, Blue Precision HMO, Medicare Advantage, MMAI Plan (some physicians)
- CareIQ, Rehab for Workers Compensation
- CCN POS
- CCN PPO
- Cigna HMO, PPO, POS
- CorVel PPO, Workers’ Compensation
- Coventry Medicare Advantage PPO, HMO
- Coventry PPO, Workers’ Compensation
- Encompass (surgery network for injured workers)
- First Health PPO
- Healthcare’s Finest Network PPO, Workers’ Compensation
- HealthLink Plans HMO, PPO
- HMO Illinois (some physicians)
- Humana MMAI, HMO, POS, PPO
- Imagine Health/Smart Network (MRI/CT Services, Rehab Services, and some Physicians)
- Longevity Health Medicare Advantage HMO
- MedRisk (Rehab services for injured workers)
- MultiPlan/Private Health Care Systems PPO
- One Call Medical Network (Imaging services for injured workers)
- One Call Care Management (Rehab services for injured workers)
- Orchid Medical (Rehab services for injured workers)
- PPO Next (aka HealthStar PPO, Preferred Health Network PPO)
- Preferred Network Access PPO
- Preferred Plan PPO
- Premier Comp Solutions (imaging services only)
- Sunrise Advantage Medicare Advantage Plan
- Therapy Direct (Rehab services for injured workers)
- Union Health Service
- UnitedHealthcare HMO, Open Access, POS, PPO
IBJI providers are participating providers in the following workers’ compensation Preferred Provider Programs (PPP):
- Healthcare’s Finest Network
- MedRisk (Rehab/Work Comp)