Ritesh Shah, MD
Buffalo Grove Physician Offices
1450 Busch Parkway
Buffalo Grove, IL 60089
- Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center
- Advocate Lutheran General Hospital
- Illinois Sports Medicine & Orthopedic Surgery Center
- North Shore Surgical Suites
- Skokie Hospital - NorthShore University Health System
BiographyDr. Ritesh Shah is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon who specializes in treating hip and knee disorders.
He offers advanced treatments including minimally invasive muscle sparing total hip replacements and hip resurfacing, hip arthroscopy for labrum repairs, minimally invasive customized patient specific total knee replacement, partial knee replacement and knee arthroscopy. As well, he performs revision hip and knee replacements.
Dr. Shah enjoys treating active athletic patients and helping them return to their high level of activity using novel, cutting edge surgical techniques. He provides the continuum of care for the hip and knee from minimally invasive arthroscopic procedures to complex revision procedures. He has written numerous orthopedic research articles and book chapters and has published surgical and video techniques for technologically advanced preservation and reconstruction procedures.
A strong believer in evidence-based medicine, Dr. Shah makes certain that everything he does for a patient is validated by the most current clinical outcomes data available.
Additional Areas of Expertise
- Hip Osteotomies
- Hip Impingement & Femoroacetabular Impingement Treatment
- Labral Tears
- Hip Dysplasia
- Hip Resurfacing
- Perthes Deformities
- Avascular Necrosis
- Hip & Femur Fractures
- Arthroscopic Surgery
- Independent Medical Evaluations (IME)
Philosophy of Care
I believe in providing empathetic, innovative, timely, and exemplary care to all my patients. My philosophy is that each person is an individual and should have treatment catered to his or her particular needs. With contemporary training in hip and knee disorders in adults and young adults, I believe in educating the patient and their family on their natural disease process, alternatives in treatment options, and expected outcomes of surgical and non-surgical treatment to allow patients to make better-educated decisions. Most importantly, I pride myself in working with a specialized support team to effectively diagnose and treat all patients to ensure complete patient satisfaction and return to activity and function.
University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine
Joint Preservation, Resurfacing and Reconstruction
Research and Publications
- Shah, Ritesh R. et al. Is it safe? Outpatient Total Joint Arthroplasty with Discharge to Home at a Freestanding Ambulatory Surgical Center. Journal of Arthroplasty, 2018.
- Ritesh R. Shah, Varsha Gobin, and Jeffrey M. Muir, “Imageless Navigation Improves Intraoperative Monitoring of Leg Length Changes during Total Hip Arthroplasty for Legg-Calve-Perthes Disease: Two Case Reports,” Case Reports in Orthopedics, vol. 2018, Article ID 4362367, 4 pages, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/4362367.
- Stulberg SD, Yaffe MA, Shah RR, Gall-Sims S, Palmese N. Columbus Primary Total Knee Replacement: A 2-4 Year Follow up. The Use of Intraoperative Navigation Derived Data to Predict Postoperative Function. ORTHOPEDICS. 2008
- Shah RR, Jain N, Sarwark JF. Kyphectomy in Myelomeningocele. The Growing Spine: Management of Spinal Disorders in the Young Child. Chapter 26. Editors: Behrooz, Muharrem, Thompson Springer ed.. 2011
- Shah RR, Barrack RL. Total Hip Arthroplasty in a Patient with Myelomeningocele: A Case Report. Journal of Arthroplasty. 2012.
- Shah, RR, Nunley RM. Management of Articular Cartilage and Ligamentum Teres Disorders in the Adult Hip. Book Chapter accepted and Awaiting Publication for The Adult Hip Volume 3.
- Shah RR, Clohisy JC. Cases From the Adolescent Hip Pain Clinic. Femoroacetabular Impingement Instructional Video. The Adult Hip 4. DVD instructional video for American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeon Instructional Video Series. 2012.
- Shah RR, Clohisy JC. Preoperative Evaluation of a Patient with Femoroacetabular Impingement. Femoroacetabular Impingement Monograph Series for American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Accepted and Awaiting Publication. 2013.
- Shah RR, Patel R, Puri L. Computer Assisted Total Knee Arthroplasty for Significant Tibial Deformities. Journal of Arthroplasty, 2013.
- Shah RR, Wetzel R, Puri L. Demonstration of Saw Blade Accuracy and Excursion: A Cadaveric Comparison Study of Blade Types Used in Total Knee Arthroplasty. Journal of Arthroplasty. 2013.
- Healio Orthopedics Blue Ribbon Award for “Aspirin Alone Is Not Enough to Prevent Deep Venous Thrombosis After Total Joint Arthroplasty.” February 2019.
- M.D. with Honors, University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, 2005
- University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine Scholarship, University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, 2001-2005
- Loyola University Chicago Damen Scholarship, Loyola University Chicago, 1997-1998
- Loyola University Chicago Presidential Scholarship, Loyola University Chicago, 1998-2001
- Alpha Sigma Nu Jesuit Honors Society, Loyola University Chicago, 2000-2001
- Magna Cum Laude with Honors in Biochemistry, Loyola University Chicago, 2001
- Magna Cum Laude with Honors in Economics, Loyola University, Chicago, 2001
- Assistant Clinical Professor of Orthopaedics, University of Illinois, Chicago, Illinois, 2011-Present
- Clinical Instructor, Washington University, St. Louis, Missouri, 2010-2011
Visit My Websitehttp://rapidrecoveryreality.com/
Curriculum VitaeSee my Curriculum Vitae [PDF]
Firefighter Rescues Man From Building on Repaired Hip: Joe’s Story
Joe Simz, 45, feels he “won the lottery” becoming a Chicago firefighter/EMT. After taking the qualifying exam in the mid-90’s and hearing nothing back..read more
Winning Marathons After My Hip Arthroscopy and Labrum Repair: Jack’s Story
I am a competitive amateur marathon runner who had completed 21 marathons prior to my injury. I began having muscle pain…read more
Additional Patient Feedback
“Dr. Shah is wonderful. Very attentive and professional. Listens well and explains everything in a patient and though manner. Five stars.”
“Dr. Shah explained things carefully, included me in decisions regarding my treatment and subsequent steps that may need to be taken and did not make me feel rushed.”
See a general list of health plans in which our providers participate.
PLEASE NOTE: While many of IBJI’s providers participate in various plans from Blue Cross Blue Shield, Aetna,Cigna, Humana, United Healthcare and others, IBJI strongly encourages you to contact your specific health plan to ensure your chosen doctor is in-network.
Outpatient joint replacement
Innovation Trailblazer Award of Excellence
Orthopedics This Week
Joint Replacement & Transitional Care
Right At Home
Illinois Orthopedic Practice Takes Opioids Seriously
Illinois Business Leader Magazine
Chicago Health Magazine Chicago, IL
Chicago Doc Finds Way to Perform Surgery With Little or No Narcotics
Fox 32 News Chicago, IL
Opioid Alternative and Patient Communication are Key for Combatting Epidemic
What If You Could Treat Severe Pain Without Narcotics?
Crain’s Chicago Business
Morton Grove Procedure Often Prevents Hip Replacement Surgery
Morton Grove Patients Climb Stairs … 30 Minutes after Hip Replacement
Firefighter is Pain-Free After Hip Resurfacing