- Advocate Lutheran General Hospital
- Skokie Hospital - NorthShore University Health System
Areas of Expertise
- Hip & Knee Replacements (including Revisions and Minimally Invasive procedures)
- Hip & Knee Pain (non-sports-related and non-trauma)
- Hip & Knee Pain with History of Arthritis
Founder and Chairman of the Board of Illinois Bone & Joint Institute, Dr. Wayne Goldstein is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon who specializes in hip and knee reconstruction and revision surgery. An internationally-known innovator who has pioneered numerous new treatments, Dr. Goldstein offers patients minimally invasive surgical techniques, including the minimal incision total hip procedure which uses a much smaller incision than standard surgery. As the designer of a hip system, now used globally for 15 years, his treatments enhance results, reduce pain and speed recovery times.
For knee replacements, Dr. Goldstein uses a Primary Total Knee System that he designed with the Mayo Clinic and other nationally known physicians. This system provides greater range of motion and a longer service life than other implants. Dr. Goldstein also provides patients with the latest forms of pain management, such as non-narcotic pain blocks.
He is the chairman of the Department of Orthopedic Surgery at Advocate Lutheran General Hospital and a clinical professor of orthopedics at the University of Illinois College of Medicine at Chicago. In addition, he stays current with the latest advances in the field through his work reviewing scholarly articles as a member of the editorial board of the Journal of Arthroplasty. Dr. Goldstein also is an oral examiner for the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery and a past president of the Illinois Association of Orthopaedic Surgeons.
I approach patient care with compassion and an understanding of what it feels like to be a patient. I strongly believe that the privilege of caring for patients obligates me to stay current with advancements in medicine, implant designs, surgical techniques and patient outcomes. At all times my key focus is on providing optimum patient care."Wayne M. Goldstein, MD
Abraham Lincoln School of Medicine, University of Illinois
University of Illinois Hospital- General Surgery
University of Illinois Hospital- Orthopaedic Surgery
Brigham and Women's Hospital, Harvard University Medical School- Arthritic Reconstructive Surgery
Affiliations and Associations
- Founder, President and CEO, Illinois Bone & Joint Institute, 1990 – present
- Oral Examiner, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, 1996 – present
- Clinical Professor of Orthopaedics, University of Illinois, Chicago, IL, 2000 – present
- Member, Editorial Board, The Journal of Arthroplasty, 2001 – present
- Chairman, Orthopaedic Surgery, Advocate Lutheran General, 2011 – present
- Shah, R. R., Cipparrone, N. E., Parilla, F. W., Robinson, M. G., Gordon, A. C., & Goldstein, W. M. (2019). Survivorship of the Modular Femoral Revision Stem. Orthopedics, 42(5), 294–298. doi: 10.3928/01477447-20190604-09
- Mayers W, Schwartz B, Schwartz A, Moretti V, Goldstein W, Shah R. National Trends and In Hospital Outcomes for Total Hip Arthroplasty in Avascular Necrosis in the United States. International Orthopaedics. 2016 Jan; [epub ahead of print]
- Woon C, Piponov H, Schwartz B, Moretti V, Schraut N, Shah R, Goldstein W. Total Knee Arthroplasty in Obesity: In-Hospital Outcomes and National Trends. Journal of Arthroplasty. 2016 April; [epub ahead of print].
- Meyer G, Goldstein W. “Improving Orthopaedic Postoperative Pathways of Care Using a Rehabilitation Discharge Planning Index,” Orthopaedic Practice, (26)2:104-107, 2014.
- Merz M, Goldstein W, Gordon A, Bohnenkamp F, Sulo, S. “Perioperative Differences in Conventional and Computer-Assisted Surgery in Bilateral Total Knee Arthroplasty,” accepted for publication, American Journal of Orthopaedics, 2014. PMID 24945475
- Goldstein W, CORR Insights: Developing a Pathway for High-Value, Patient-Centered Total Joint Arthroplasty, CORR, December, 2013. DOI: 10.1007/s11999-013-3398-4. PMID 24353052
See CV for additional Research and Publications
- Healio Orthopedics Blue Ribbon Award for “Aspirin Alone Is Not Enough to Prevent Deep Venous Thrombosis After Total Joint Arthroplasty.” February 2019.
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, UIC College of Medicine, 2013
- Media Orthopaedic Reporting Excellence Award, National Orthopaedic Leadership Conference, Washington, DC, 2008
- First Place Poster, Adult Reconstruction Knee “Over-Utilization of MRI in the Osteoarthritis Patient,” 2008
- International Relief Effort Volunteer Recognition, 10th District International Volunteer Fair, 2008
- Award of Excellence, Scientific Exhibit “Implant Sizing in the Female Total Knee Arthroplasty,” AAOS, 2007
- Sequential Bilateral Total Knee Arthroplasty and “Primary Total Hip Arthroplasty”
- Annual Writers Award, Association of periOperative Registered Nurses, 2002-2003
- George C. Fisher Humanitarian Award, Rotary Club, 1990
View Dr. Goldstein's Media
Two Worlds United
“Dr. Wayne Goldstein is an outstanding, kind and caring physician. His knowledge is unlimited and his care and concern for this patient was exceptional. Thank you for being the doctor you are.” – Lawrence L.
“About 20 years ago I had my left hip replaced by Dr. Wayne Goldstein. Four years later he replaced my right hip joint. Both surgeries went well and gave me the ability to walk without pain. Eventually, I had both knees replaced at the same time six years later. I will be 80 years of age next month and am able to walk, exercise and care for myself including cooking and cleaning my home. Thank you Dr. Goldstein for giving me a pain-free old age.” – Constance S.
“Dr. Goldstein was very kind and took time to explain my injury, as well as answer any questions. I would highly recommend him.”
“All my encounters at the office were very positive, all my questions were answered and I gained a lot of insight into the steps of the surgery process.”