- Advocate Lutheran General Hospital
- Illinois Sports Medicine & Orthopedic Surgery Center
- Northwest Community Day Surgery Center
- Skokie Hospital - NorthShore University Health System
Areas of Expertise
- Foot & Ankle Surgery (Adult & Pediatric)
- Sports Medicine & Pediatric Sports Medicine
- Foot Pain & Injuries
- Ankle Pain & Injuries
- Ankle Replacement
- Independent Medical Evaluations (IME)
Alan C. League, MD, is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon who specializes in foot and ankle reconstruction. He provides care for the full range of foot and ankle problems. When appropriate, Dr. League offers arthroscopy (minimally invasive surgery) to reduce stress on the patient and speed recovery times. His patients also are able to enjoy the benefits of the major improvements recently made in the prostheses used for ankle replacement. Most patients see Dr. League for treatment of pain of some kind.
Often, Dr. League is able to achieve a successful outcome with non-surgical treatments that other physicians haven’t tried. A former wide receiver for the Northwestern University football team, Dr. League personally experienced orthopedic injuries, which led him to his professional calling. Dr. League has consulted for a medical device company on the design of a new system type of screws for use in foot and ankle surgery. He is a clinical assistant professor of orthopedic surgery at the University of Illinois College of Medicine, where he helps train medical residents. He also is leading a team of residents in a research project examining the biomechanical properties of ankle fixation techniques.
A patient and physician must establish a bond based on mutual respect, honesty and open communication. As a physician, I try to personalize my care for each patient."Alan C. League, MD
University of Minnesota Medical School- Doctor of Medicine
University of Illinois Medical Center- Orthopedic Surgery
University of Illinois Medical Center- Mini-Fellowship in Ilizarov Technique
Department of Orthopaedics, Lecco, Italy- Foot and Ankle Reconstruction
Union Memorial Hospital/Johns Hopkins University
- SOCIETY FOR NEUROSCIENCE
“Reaching Beyond Reach”
Vol. 23: p. 2089. Martha Flanders, Alan League, Linda Daghestani.
- CURRENT OPINION IN ORTHOPAEDICS
Review article: “Hallux Rigidus: Great Progress for an Old Disease”
17(2):85-90, April 2006. Alan League, Stuart Miller.
- June 2005: Leo Weinstein Award for Excellence in Patient Care,University of Illinois Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
- April 2004: Best Paper: Clinical Research Conference, University of Illinois Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
- 1999: Alpha Omega Alpha,University of Minnesota Medical School
- 1992-94: Dean’s List: Northwestern University
View Dr. League's Media
Achilles Tendon Pain
“Would strongly recommend Dr League. He took the time to listen to my history with my injury, listened to my concerns, explained my x-rays and was very assuring in my further course of action.”
“Dr League was fantastic in repairing my split Achilles. He’s caring, direct…I strongly recommend him.”