Meet Brian Weatherford
Dr. Brian Weatherford is an Orthopaedic Surgeon with fellowship training in both Orthopaedic Trauma as well as Foot and Ankle Surgery. He is dedicated to the treatment of patients with foot and ankle disorders as well traumatic injuries. His areas of special interest include deformity correction, ankle replacement surgery and complex fracture care.
He graduated cum laude from Vanderbilt University with undergraduate degrees in both molecular biology and Spanish. A native of Texas, Dr. Weatherford attended medical school at The University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio, where he graduated first in his class. He continued his medical education in Chicago, completing a surgical internship and Orthopaedic Surgery residency at Northwestern University’s Feinberg School of Medicine. Dr. Weatherford then completed a one year fellowship in Orthopaedic Trauma Surgery at the prestigious R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center. This was followed by an additional one year fellowship in Foot and Ankle Surgery at Orthopaedic Associates of Michigan.
Dr. Weatherford resides in Glenview with his wife and their growing family. He is fluent in Spanish and enjoys tennis, travel and spending time with his four young children.
Additional Areas of Expertise
- Ankle Replacement
- Complex Fractures
- Pelvic & Acetabular Fractures
- Deformity Correction
- Limb lengthening
Philosophy of Care
My goal is to educate the patient about their condition so they can be an active participant in choosing the best treatment option.
Orthopaedic Associates of Michigan
Foot and Ankle Surgery
R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center
University of Texas Health Science Center
Research and Publications
Publications (Peer reviewed)
- Swords, MP and Weatherford, BM. High-Energy Pilon Fractures: Role of External Fixation in Acute and Definitive Treatment. Foot Ankle Clin. 2020. In Press
- Weatherford BM, Anderson JG, Bohay DR. Management of Tarsometatarsal Joint Injuries. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2017 Jul;25(7):469-479. PubMed PMID: 28574939
- Weatherford BM, Bohay DR, Anderson JG. Open Reduction and Internal Fixation Versus Primary Arthrodesis for Lisfranc Injuries. Foot Ankle Clin. 2017 Mar;22(1):1-14. Review. PMID: 28167055
- Larson JE, Patel AR, Weatherford B, Janicki JA. Timing of Pavlik Harness Initiation: Can We Wait? J Pediatr Orthop. 2017 Jan 16. PubMed PMID: 28098581
- Switaj PJ, Wetzel RJ, Jain NP, Weatherford BM, Ren Y, Zhang LQ, Merk BR. Comparison of modern locked plating and antiglide plating for fixation of osteoporotic distal fibular fractures. Foot Ankle Surg. 2016 PMID: 27502223
- Ghodasra JH, Weatherford BM, Nickoli MS, Daley EL, Chen K, Zhang LQ, Hashmi SZ, Hsu EL, Hsu WK . The effect of rhBMP-2 in a novel, non-instrumented extremity nonunion model. J Orthop Sci. 2016. PMID: 26740420
- Hagen JE, Weatherford BM, Nascone JW, Sciadini MF. Anterior intrapelvic modification to the ilioinguinal approach. J Orthop Trauma. 2015. PMID: 25486000
- Switaj PJ, Weatherford B, Fuchs D, Rosenthal B, Pang E, Kadakia AR. Evaluation of Posterior Malleolar Fractures and the Posterior Pilon Variant in Operatively Treated Ankle Fractures. Foot Ankle Int. 2014. PMID: 24942618.
- Marecek GS, Weatherford BM, Fuller EB, Saltzman MS. The Effect of Axillary Hair on Surgical Antisepsis Around the Shoulder. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2014. PMID: 25487899
- Savage JW, Weatherford BM, Sugrue PA, Nolden MT, Liu JC, Song JK, Haak MH. Efficacy of surgical preparation solutions in lumbar spine surgery. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2012. PMID: 22437997.
Publications (Non-Peer reviewed)
- Kulwin R and Weatherford B. Management of Bone Defects of the Foot and Ankle. Tech Foot and Ankle. 2020
- Khazai RS and Weatherford BM. Current Strategies in the Management of Sydnesmotic Injuries. Tech Foot and Ankle. 2018:17: 126-135
- Weatherford BM, Sciadini MF. Rush Grand Rounds: A 41-year old man with pelvic trauma. Orthopedics Today. 2014
- Risk Factors for Complications after Flap Coverage of Open Tibia Fractures; Principal Investigator Dr. Robert O’Toole
- Risk Factors for Wound Failure after Primary Closure of Type IIIA Open Tibia Fractures; Principal Investigator Dr. Robert O’Toole
Online Publications, Presentations and Related Activity
- Howard Rosen Teaching Award. AO Basic Principles. Rosemont, IL, 2019
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society, 2007
- MSP Designated Academic Scholarship, University of Texas, 2007
- MSP Designated Academic Scholarship, University of Texas, 2008
- Bowen-Vogt Medical Science Training Scholarship, 2005-2006
- Clinical Instructor, University of Illinois at Chicago, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, 2020-Present
- Assistant Residency Program Director, Advocate Lutheran General Hospital, UIC Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, 2020-Present
- Director of Orthopaedic Trauma, Advocate Lutheran General Hospital, 2020-Present
See my Curriculum Vitae
First Magnetic Bone Transport Nail Used in Chicago: Gregory T’s Story
In October of 2018, Gregory was working at the airport when he suffered a traumatic injury to his right leg…read more
Excruciating Arm & Hip Pain to Power Walking a 10K: Marlene D’s Story
Marlene was out for her nightly power walk in October of 2018 when a misstep and fall resulted in multiple fractures…read more
Want to share your patient story for Dr. Weatherford? Complete this form.
Additional Patient Feedback
“I’m emailing in regards to my visit today with Dr. Weatherford. I just wanted to email you and tell you how wonderful your staff is! Hannah and Kaia were both very pleasant and professional as well as Dr. Weatherford himself! He made sure I understood everything during my appointment and the three of them are just very personable people! My mother also had a wonderful experience with them as well therefore she ended up recommending Weatherford to me and I’m very glad I went to see him instead of going somewhere else! I will recommend your office to anyone who needs any orthopedic specialists! – Jennifer Reetz”
“Dr. Weatherford has the best bedside manner of any doctor I’ve ever been to. I felt broken but he was reassuring by explaining the procedure, utilizing eye contact and empathy during our appointments. He made our appointments feel positive. Even my husband was impressed. Not only did Dr. Weatherford put me back together after being broken but he was empathetic and very understanding. Even the IBJI office staff was super with getting paperwork completed. That was very well done.”
“Excellent overall experience! Would highly recommend Dr. Weatherford and staff to anyone.”
“Dr. Weatherford has a very warm, yet professional manner. He was unhurried answering all questions. Dr. Weatherford makes the patient feel very comfortable and satisfied with the course of medical treatment. He is a wonderful physician.”
Leave a Google Review for Dr. Weatherford