Scoliosis Treatments in IL
Scoliosis is an irregular curvature of the spine that often appears before the onset of puberty. While many may go through life unaffected by this abnormality, others suffer from complications, such as chronic pain or difficulty breathing. At IBJI, expert physicians and staff work closely with you to find the best treatment plan possible. With one of the largest orthopedic practices in Illinois, IBJI has 20 locations in and around the Chicago area. Find the orthopedic location nearest you for consultation and treatment.
Scoliosis Symptoms and Signs
In more severe instances of scoliosis, the spine may curve beyond 20-25 degrees and symptoms may become noticeable. As the degree of the curve becomes more pronounced, breathing may become difficult as the lungs compress. Limited mobility and chronic pain may also develop.
Signs of Scoliosis
- Uneven shoulders
- Uneven shoulder blades (one protrudes more than that the other)
- Uneven hips and waist (one hip higher than the other)
- Prominent “S” shape of the spine (side-to-side curve)
- Limited mobility of the spine
Types of Scoliosis
- Idiopathic (no known cause; may be present at birth or develop during childhood)
- Degenerative (adult onset scoliosis; caused by degeneration of the spine)
- Neuromuscular (caused by damage to the brain or nerves; examples include muscular dystrophy and cerebral palsy)
Scoliosis Treatment at IBJI
At IBJI, physicians and staff will work to assess your scoliosis towards developing a personalized treatment plan. Depending on severity of you condition, a physician will likely recommend one of the following options:
- Continued Observation
- Physical therapy
- Orthopedic night time bracing of the spine
- Orthopedic full time bracing of the spine
- Spinal Fusion Surgery
- Fusionless Scoliosis Tethering
- Dual rod growth construct
Electrodiagnostic Medicine (EMG/NCV), Non-Operative Orthopedics, and Spine -- Non-Surgical
Non-Operative Orthopedics, Pain Management, and Spine (SI Joint, Epidural Injections, Spinal Cord Stim)
28156 W. Northpointe PkwySte 225Lake Barrington, IL 60010
150 N. Michigan AveSuite 1400Chicago, IL 60601
Related Blog Posts
Like many people, Debra Stewart had lived with back pain for years. Several of her vertebrae were starting to compress, causing occasional discomfort in her lower back and one of her legs. In spite of her back issues, Debra was determined to stay active and fit.
Related Patient Stories
I could barely walk and I was crying when I walked in IBJI. Asked to see a doctor and Dr. Brian Clay treated me over a period of several months. He was fabulous. I had several things going on besides a pinched nerve. I had three injections and therapy. I am 70 years old and very active. I occasionally do the exercises I learned in therapy, I am careful about certain movements concerning my back, but I have been totally free from that excruciating sciatica pain. Thank you Dr. Brian Clay.