Mark Mikhael, MD
- Evanston Hospital - NorthShore University Health System
- Glenbrook Hospital - NorthShore University Health System
- Skokie Hospital - NorthShore University Health System
Dr. Mark Mikhael is an orthopedic surgeon specializing in surgical treatment of spine disorders such as disc herniations, stenosis, fractures, instability and degeneration (arthritis). His special interest is in complex cervical spine surgery. Whenever possible, he offers minimally invasive surgical techniques, which help avoid complications and reduce patient recovery times. He also has extensive experience in nerve decompression surgery and complex spinal reconstruction.Dr. Mikhael works with each patient to explore conservative treatment options before pursuing surgery. His goal for each patient is to increase their ability to engage in the activities they enjoy while reducing their pain and discomfort. He keeps informed of the latest developments in his field through his work as a manuscript reviewer for the journal entitled “SPINE,” the field’s leading research journal.
Today, Dr. Mikhael shares his expertise with other spine specialists through his membership in the radiology and the evidence-based guidelines committees of the North American Spine Society. He has authored multiple articles about spine care in scientific journals. His efforts to improve care for patients include his work helping develop new medical technologies, including a cervical fixation device and a product to stimulate bone growth. He is also actively involved in multiple research projects targeted at improving spine care.
Additional Areas of Expertise
Philosophy of Care
I look at each of my patients from a global perspective to best understand their issues, their condition and ultimately how they can be treated most effectively.
Affilations and Associations
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- North American Spine Society
University of Illinois at Chicago
Mayo Clinic Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
Orthopaedic Spine Surgery
University of California Los Angeles UCLA Comprehensive Spine Center
Research and Publications
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society, College of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, 2005
- James Scholar Program for Independent Study, College of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, 2005
- Graduated with Highest Distinction, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 2001
- Phi Beta Kappa National Honor Society, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 2001
- Michigan Class Honors, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 2001
- Michigan Angell Scholar Award, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 2001
- North American Spine Society (NASS), Evidence-Based Guidelines Committee (2013 – Present)
- Clinical Instructor, University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) (2010 – 2011)
- Clinical Assistant Professor, Pritzker School of Medicine, University of Chicago
- North American Spine Society (NASS), Section on Radiology Committee Member
Curriculum VitaeSee my Curriculum Vitae [PDF]
See a general list of health plans in which our providers participate.
PLEASE NOTE: While many of IBJI’s providers participate in various plans from Blue Cross Blue Shield, Aetna,Cigna, Humana, United Healthcare and others, IBJI strongly encourages you to contact your specific health plan to ensure your chosen doctor is in-network.