- Advocate Lutheran General Hospital
- Evanston Hospital - NorthShore University Health System
- Glenbrook Hospital - NorthShore University Health System
- Highland Park Hospital - NorthShore University Health System
- Illinois Sports Medicine & Orthopedic Surgery Center
- Ravine Way Surgery Center, LLC
- Skokie Hospital - NorthShore University Health System
Areas of Expertise
- Direct Anterior Approach Robotic Total Hip Replacement
- Robotic Assisted Total Hip and Knee Replacement
- Outpatient Hip and Knee Replacement (Same-day Joint Replacement)
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Revision of Hip & Knee Replacements
- Robotic Unicompartmental or Partial Knee Replacement
- Orthopedic Surgery
- Arthroscopic Surgery
Dr. Sean Sutphen is a board-certified, fellowship-trained orthopaedic surgeon specializing in rapid recovery hip and knee replacement and complex reconstruction surgery. Through his extensive training and experience, he has developed an expertise in minimally invasive joint replacement surgeries including anterior and mini-posterior approach hip replacement, robotic-assisted partial knee replacement, and robotic-assisted total knee replacement. He has a particular interest in robotic-assisted joint replacement and outpatient joint replacement with rapid rehabilitation protocols for faster recovery after surgery. Dr. Sutphen also treats patients who require revision hip or knee replacements and those who have had a previous surgery or deformity requiring complex joint replacement surgery.
Dr. Sutphen’s approach to caring for patients with disorders of the hip and knee involves personalized treatments, both operative and non-operative, that are supported by the latest evidence. He believes shared decision-making with his patients is the best way to provide care that is individualized, compassionate, and most likely to achieve their goals. Dr. Sutphen takes great pride in treating each patient as if they were a member of his own family. He has devoted his career to leading patients back to their active lifestyles through evidence-based treatments and meticulous surgical technique.
A native of Columbus, Ohio, Dr. Sutphen received his undergraduate degree from Miami University, where he completed his pre-medical studies and was a member of the ice hockey team. He received his medical degree from Lake Erie College of Medicine and then completed his residency in Orthopaedic Surgery at Ohio University in Columbus, Ohio, where he served as chief resident. Dr. Sutphen went on to complete a prestigious fellowship in Adult Reconstruction and Joint Replacement at the world-renowned Hospital for Special Surgery (number one orthopaedic hospital in the country as ranked by US News and World Report) at Cornell University Medical College in New York City.
He is dedicated to the orthopaedic field of adult reconstruction and joint replacement as he has published numerous peer-reviewed articles and has given several presentations on the national and international level. He serves as a reviewer for the Journal of Arthroplasty. Dr. Sutphen is a member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons. Dr. Sutphen lives in the northern suburbs of Chicago with his wife Ashley and their three children, Libby, Kate, and Jack.
Every day it is my responsibility to provide the highest standard of orthopedic care and personal attention to each and every patient. I emphasize a whole-person approach to treatment and care. With advanced training in minimally invasive surgical techniques and rapid recovery joint replacement, I strive to help my patients return to the activities they enjoy as quickly as possible."Sean A. Sutphen, DO
Miami University of Ohio
Lake Erie College of Medicine
Ohio University- Orthopaedic Surgery
Hospital for Special Surgery/Weill Cornell Medical College- Adult Reconstruction and Joint Replacement Fellowship
- Sutphen S, Ranawat AS. Biomechanical Assessment of a Novel Posterior Soft Tissue Repair Technique in Primary Total Hip Arthroplasty. Orthopaedic Proceedings. 2018 Oct 16; Vol. 100-B, No. SUPP_13.
- Johnson D, Sutphen S, Triplet J, Taylor B, Wasielewski R. Findings in Non-Recalled Metal-on-Metal Total Hip Arthroplasty Patients. EC Orthopaedics. 10.11(2019): 43-51.
- McGowan S, Myers D, Taylor B, Madsen A, Sutphen S, Galos D, Mehta S. Difficulty of Total Hip Arthroplasty Following Open Reduction and Internal Fixation of an Acetabulum Fracture. Journal of Long-Term Effects of Medical Implants. 29(3): 247-254 (2019).
- Sutphen S, Berend KR, Morris MJ, Lombardi AV. The Direct Anterior Approach has a Lower Rate of Deep Infection than the Limited Incision Direct Lateral Approach in Primary Total Hip Arthroplasty. J Surg Orthop Adv. Spring 2018;27(1):21-24.
- Prissel MA, Simpson GA, Sutphen S, Hyer CF, Berlet GC. Ankle Arthrodesis: A Retrospective Review Comparing Single Column, Locked Anterior Plating to Crossed Lag Screw Technique. J Foot Ankle Surg. 2017 May – Jun;56(3):453-456.
- Sutphen S, Adams JB, Lombardi AV. Failed Modular Neck Stems: Tip and Tricks. J Arthroplasty, 2016 Jul;31(7):1390-4.
- Sutphen S, Mendoza J, Mundy AC, Yang G, Beebe A, Klingele KE. Pediatric Diaphyseal Femur Fractures: A Comparison of Outcomes after Submuscular Plating, Flexible Intramedullary Nailing, and Rigid Intramedullary Nailing. Orthopedics. 2016 Nov 1;39(6):353-358.
- Sutphen S, Beebe A, Klingele KE. Bridge Plating Length-Unstable Femoral Shaft Fractures. J Pediatr Orthop. 2016 Jun; 36 Suppl 1:S29-34.
- Sutphen S, MacLaughlin L, Madsen A, Russell J, McShane MA. Prevalence of Pseudotumor in Patients after Metal-on-Metal Hip Arthroplasty Evaluated with Metal Ion Analysis and MARS-MRI. J Arthroplasty. 2016 Jan; 31(1): 260-3.
- Ng VY, Arnott L, Li J, Hopkins R, Lewis J, Sutphen S, Nicholson L, Reader D, McShane MA. Comparison of Custom to Standard TKA Instrumentation with Computed Tomography. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2014 Aug; 22(8): 1833-42.
- Sutphen S, Murakami JW. Radiofrequency ablation of a cervical osteoid osteoma: a trans-thyroid approach. Pediatric Radiology. 2007, 3 (1): 83-85.
- Sutphen S, Lipman J, Jerabek S, Mayman D, Esposito C. Treatment of Recurrent Dislocation after Total Hip Arthroplasty Using Advanced Imaging and Three-Dimensional Modeling Techniques: A Case Series. HSS J. July 2019.
- Lake Erie College of Medicine Academic Excellence Scholarship, 2009-2012
- Lake Erie College of Medicine Surgery Club Executive Board, 2008-2010
- Sigma Sigma Phi Medical Honors Society, 2009
- TOUCH Pin Award Recipient, 2011
- Lake Erie College of Medicine Surgery Discipline Award, 2012
- Ohio University Advanced Anatomical Services Master of Dissection Award, 2013
- First Place Poster: OhioHealth Research Symposium; Columbus, OH, 2015
- Second Place Research Paper: AOAO Annual Meeting; Colorado Springs, CO, 2015
- Third Place Research Paper: AOAO Annual Meeting; Colorado Springs, CO, 2015
- First Place Podium: OhioHealth Research Symposium; Columbus, OH, 2016
- Orthopedics Blue Ribbon Award Winning Paper, 2016
- Chief Resident, Ohio University Orthopaedic Surgery Residency; Columbus, OH, 2016
- Second Place Research Paper: AOAO Annual Meeting; Chicago, IL, 2017
View Dr. Sutphen's Media
Dr. Sean A. Sutphen, Orthopedic Surgeon
How to Manage and Treat Arthritis and More
Dr. Sutphen as heard on WBBM Newsradio (780 AM and 105.9 FM) and WSCR 670 AM The Score. March 2019
Dr. Sutphen - as heard on WGN: "Stay in the Game."
Joint Replacement Surgery During the COVID-19 Pandemic: What Arthritis Patients Should Know
- Woman Feels Great After Hip Surgery to Fix Her Broken Hip (Lila’s Story)
- How Physical Therapy After Hip Replacement and High-Quality Care Speed Up Healing (Lotti R.)
- Patient Story: Two Weeks After Hip Replacement (Brigitte K.)
- How George Became Pain-Free After Robotic Knee Replacement
- Successful Total Hip Replacement Recovery for Active Senior (Doris’ Story)
- Arm Surgery a Big Success After Busy Mom Slips on Ice
- He Had a Fun Friends' Golf Outing After Easy Outpatient Hip Surgery at IBJI
How George Went from Pain to No Pain After Robotic Knee Replacement
For George, 72, the discomfort in his knees had been going on for many years due to osteoarthritis. After multiple shots in each knee, which temporarily solved his pain problems, it was time for a permanent solution… read more
Successful Hip Replacement Surgery for Active Senior
In the summer of 2019, the time had come to consider surgery options based on the pain she was experiencing. “It started to affect my daily routine,” Doris, who turned 80 this year, explained. “I had pain walking, getting into a car, even sitting. Basically anytime I had to move my hips, I’d have pain.”… read more
Patient Story: Hip Replacement Comparisons (Lotti R.)
Lotti got her left hip replaced by IBJI’s Dr. Sean Sutphen. She knew what to expect but was excited to see the new changes to technology and quality of care provided by IBJI that she hadn’t experienced before… read more
Patient Story: Two Weeks After Hip Replacement (Brigitte K.)
Brigitte’s left hip pain began a year and a half ago. She was able to manage it a little bit by getting injections but the pain became more noticeable… read more
Hip Replacement and Knee Care: Lila P’s Story
In March of 2019, Lila took a cruise ship vacation. While walking in her room on the cruise ship, she slipped and fell, causing excruciating pain… read more
“Dr. Sutphen was very friendly, interested in me as a person, and clear about my condition.”
“Dr. Sutphen has the best bedside manner of any doctor I have seen. Extremely helpful and knowledgeable about my issues. Spends the time to discuss all issues with his patients.”
“Dr. Sutphen accurately and quickly diagnosed my knee issues and ultimately performed surgery and my knees are feeling better than they have in many years. I highly recommend him.”
“Dr. Sutphen is awesome! The most caring, friendly, knowledgeable. excellent doctor I have ever met. At my first meeting with Dr. Sutphen, I knew immediately, he was the surgeon that I wanted to perform my knee replacement! And couldn’t be happier!”
“To sum it up, Dr. Sutphen is the best! He listened to me displaying unbelievable empathy. My knee replacement went so smooth and cannot believe I didn’t do it sooner. My family and I are very impressed with his level of care. I would recommend him to anyone.”
“Dr. Sutphen is truly amazing! He is very thorough, genuine, and was informative of the latest advancements. I had a total hip replacement done by Dr. Sutphen and I recovered very quickly. So grateful for him getting me back to quality of life I want.”